Primers and finish coats

ted angus

Question

My son has just invested in a Series 3 Landy Lightweight as a restoration project; its bodywork is pretty good but the paint work needs taking down to the metal. Its many years since my last project and all mine have been steel bodies etc. BIG question can anyone recommend a primer for Aluminium that will be good for the Landie and a good finish product; I think I have convinced him to go for a satin finish - my effort to get him to do gloss deep bronze green have failed !

regards

TED

5 answers to this question

I have a very good local Dulux colour centre. They can mix and match, or brew to the colour what I want Dulux Metalsheild. I have no complaints about it, easy to apply and a great finish. Also very hard wearing. They also can advise on a primer.

Generally the advice is to use acid etch primer on aluminium, and be very thorough in the cleaning and de-greasing, otherwise you can get problems with coat adhesion.

I've tended to use two pack etches in the past, from Trimite or Cromadex. You'd put a conventional primer over, then build up the topcoats.