Mystery British Light set

robin craig

Question

Recently while trolling one of our national free swap / sale forums boards I found a gent over half way across the country with what appeared to be be something so specifically of British Military origins I jumped at it.

He had a listed asking price and I offered a lower amount and he countered and then we settled, the postage was half again, but I did not mind.

Anyway, he had trouble boxing it up and finally sent them both in a big Rubbermaid tote box with the lid riveted on which I thought was creative.

So here they are, I would love it if someone could tell me what they are for. The main cord is long and has the usual British MOD plug and the right side unit draws its power from the left one by means of a smaller plug and socket. The pair are not lightweight by any means.

I think for the moment I will hand on to it as it is rather than rape it for the component light parts for my 1 Tonne but who knows, we may swap stuff around.

The rear shot shows the brackets that I have loosely placed where it looks as if they bolt up.

Any clues anyone? Howitzer? Engineer Plant?

Mystery light set 3.jpg

Mystery light set 2.jpg

Mystery light set 1.jpg

6 answers to this question

Are the lamps fitted in the correct positions, I would have expected the indicators to be fitted on the outside position.

Indicators were in the middle of all the ones I have seen: http://whitelabel.globalauctionplatform.com/en-gb/auction-catalogues/wca/catalogue-id-witham1-10000/lot-54c82988-4100-478c-96f1-a42d01158821?clienturl=wca

Edited by radiomike7

Yep agreed all the recovery vehicles carry them! there is a left and right should be badged on the back!

yep recovery lights with left and right marked below the triangles, also seen single ones for artillery towing but collar fit on rear