Land Rover 1 Tonne in service questions

robin craig

Question

There are many nagging questions on this vehicle in service with The British Armed Forces that I have but only two I want to try and get answered right now.

Q1, was the fume hood divider between the driver and co driver and the load area ever a CES item?

Q2 Where or how can we ascertain how many vehicles were rebuilt after accidents and the new registration from old documentation. I know of at least one that this happened to

Thanks

Robin

6 answers to this question

From another forum, the ARRSE one, I got one intelligent answer (among the stupid ones you have to put up with) that suggested that the serial number of the vehicle is linked to it being stamped into the chassis so if that was bent badly then a new chassis would have been fitted hence a new registration number needed.

Does that sound plausible?

R

From another forum, the ARRSE one, I got one intelligent answer (among the stupid ones you have to put up with) that suggested that the serial number of the vehicle is linked to it being stamped into the chassis so if that was bent badly then a new chassis would have been fitted hence a new registration number needed.

Does that sound plausible?

R

When I replaced chassis's on Land Rovers while working in REME workshops, we did not change the identity of the vehicle and the new chassis did not have a number. The nomenclature plate had all the details required.

Richard

Thanks for posting.

I'm not quite clear, did you stamp the new chassis with the numbers from the data plate or leave it numberless?

R

I do not recall them being stamped with the original number after replacing the chassis. To the army, the physical chassis number was not of importance, as; a/ it was covered in underseal, so unreadable, and b/ there are two plates in the cab, one being the makers and the other the MoD plate. This is only of importance now, when sold off and a civvy owner registering. Definitely in all those I saw being changed, the ARN identity remained the same. I would be interested to see details of this 1 tonne which you say had a new ARN after a rebuild.

The vehicle in question is shown in service on page 81 of the June 2000 issue of Land Rover Monthly and the article was on the 1 Tonne by Bob Morrison and he specifically mentions this issue as the caption for his photo of the vehicle.

I will try an FOI but doubt I will yield much

R