help needed to identify 19 set power unit

Hi i need some help to identify this power unit

DSCF0109.jpg

DSCF0110.jpg

i bought it last night with an American built no 19 mk 3 set i cannot find any reference to it in any of the wireless for the warrior books i have is it a post war power unit as the 19 set has had the b set removed which was a post war modification

thanks

Nicky

Hi i need some help to identify this power unit

[ATTACH=CONFIG]102987[/ATTACH]

i bought it last night with an American built no 19 mk 3 set i cannot find any reference to it in any of the wireless for the warrior books i have is it a post war power unit as the 19 set has had the b set removed which was a post war modification

thanks

Nicky

Ah, it will be in Wireless for the Warrior Volume 3, because it's a butchered vibrator supply for the PCR3 receiver.

As an aside, the Americans did not build the Mk.3 set, those would be British or Canadian.

Your power supply is going to be home made, and I'd be inclined to examine it very carefully from a safety point of view.

Further thoughts: the connectors used are post-WW2 Pattern 104 types, as used on Larkspur kit, and the power input connector on the set (which is a Mk.II judging by the connector size (6-pt)) has been changed to suit the homebrewed supply.

The "dog-bone" connector in the lower socket is a "set to supply unit" cable for WS19 Mk.3 and is unlikely to be fully wired as they only used 8 pins (Earth, +12V heaters/relay, +250V HT1, 540V HT2 (+&-), Speech & Signal (driver intercom) and transmit relay (to run the HT2 dynamotor).

Chris.

Edited by Chris Suslowicz
Further thoughts.

Hi Chris

thanks for the info , i have no intention of trying to use either the power unit or the set it is just to go on the bench in the rear of my Bedford MWR , but was surprised not to find it in the copies of wireless for the warrior i had bought ,would the power unit be for a post war set .photos show the 19 set that came with it the signal corps marking made me think it was made in America

DSCF0117.jpg

DSCF0118.jpg

thanks Nicky

Hi Chris

thanks for the info , i have no intention of trying to use either the power unit or the set it is just to go on the bench in the rear of my Bedford MWR , but was surprised not to find it in the copies of wireless for the warrior i had bought ,would the power unit be for a post war set .photos show the 19 set that came with it the signal corps marking made me think it was made in America

thanks Nicky

No, the power unit looks like a home made mains one built in the case of a supply unit for the (wartime) PCR 3 receiver. If you look at the front of the power unit you can see where all the original power connectors have been blanked off. It's nothing whatever to do with any military radio in its current form, other than being built from parts.

The set is a U.S. Mk.II built for Lend-Lease.

It's also been modified because the power input connector has been changed and part of the 'B' set removed (the tuning wheel slot has been filled in as has the aerial socket.

Oh, and someone has removed all the flick locking screws which is a particularly nasty thing to do since it's a complicated mechanism and something of a pig to reassemble...

Edited by Chris Suslowicz
I spotted the missing flick screws

Hi

i need to make a copy of carrier set no 23 (this is the carrier to mount the 19 set on) before i can fit it in the back of the Bedford are there any drawings to be found to make this to ,is this the correct mounting for the 19 set in the rear of the Bedford

thanks

Nicky

Thanks for the info Chris ,building the truck was hard enough but this radio stuff is a real minefield and is going to be very steep leaning curve ,wireless for the warrior talks of a post war conversion on the 19 set to remove the B set is this what has happened to the set above or is it another homemade rework

Nicky

Hi

i need to make a copy of carrier set no 23 (this is the carrier to mount the 19 set on) before i can fit it in the back of the Bedford are there any drawings to be found to make this to ,is this the correct mounting for the 19 set in the rear of the Bedford

thanks

Nicky

Carrier No.3 (later renumbered to No.23) is the "truck and ground station" one. It's mostly timber with relatively simple metal parts. The difficulty will be the set clamping straps which have clamping plates fitted, and the adjustable end was a metal stamping and not trivial. You will probably have to buy the straps, just make sure you get the ends and knurled nuts (which are 5/16" British Standard Cycle Thread, just to be ruddy awkward). You'll also need the table mounting brackets for the carrier (which include shock absorbers because that carrier doesn't have any), a proper WS19 supply unit case, and the seating plate + packing piece for the variometer mounting.

There's a perspective drawing of the carrier in Wireless for the Warrior Volume 2, and I've got an original carrier if you need detailed measurements of parts. I may have a spare table clamp somewhere as well.

Chris.