Mystery tank wheels

kevin powles

Gents, I have a set of four wheels, same size as bren carrier wheels, but they are not, no markings the bearings they take are of a smaller size than a carrier wheel, I think these are quite early manufacture possibly pre ww2, they have a 90mm opening for a bearing which was most likely a plain bronze type.

any ideas please, perhaps people have seen this style on a vehicle, maybe even German?.

image.jpg

Kevin,

1929 Vickers-Armstrong Scout Vehicle Prototype in NWs volume one, page 14. Dead ringer, I guess having no TL code would suggest very early items. It says they were based on the 6 ton light tank, so I would presume they could be from one of those too.

Kevin,

1929 Vickers-Armstrong Scout Vehicle Prototype in NWs volume one, page 14. Dead ringer, I guess having no TL code would suggest very early items. It says they were based on the 6 ton light tank, so I would presume they could be from one of those too.

Thanks Alister, will check the book tomorrow, I wonder who will want them, I don't need them, must be very rare wheels, the rubber is in amazinging good condition.

I'm leaning towards Vickers, either light tank or Carden Loyd.

vickers%20light.jpg

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/e/e6/Vickers_Carden-Loyd_tankette_reconnaisance_vehicle_at_the_Royal_Danish_Arsenal_Museum_(Copenhagen),_pic18.JPG

(Big picture, trailer wheels the main thing)

I'd probably discount Maultier, that for me, fails the "How did they get here?" test. I can't see a Maultier popping up in the UK.

These look to match, V-A Light Tank MKII:

IWM-KID-226-Light-tank-MkII.jpg

From a Carrier development point of view they are interesting as they are a throwback to the initial suspension design that ended up on all the carriers...and to link posts....copied by the Germans to use on the Maultier, in solid disc design.

Edited by ajmac