Pioneer

Neilik15

Are you sure it's 1934? Also what type of pioneer is it? If you can put up the chassis number I should be able to give you it's original military number and what contract it was built on.

Chassis number is stamped into the chassis on the passenger side towards the front.

Regards

Ed

Are you sure it's 1934? Also what type of pioneer is it? If you can put up the chassis number I should be able to give you it's original military number and what contract it was built on.

Chassis number is stamped into the chassis on the passenger side towards the front.

Regards

Ed

Hi yes thanks for your help.

it's model is sv2s , registration certificate says year 1943 but this may be when it was first registered?

and chassis no is 5343.

Rgds

Neil.

Chassis no. 5343

Military H no. 5545293

Order no. S3164

Order date 30/4/1943

It would have been built after the order date so probably some time in 1944 or even into the start of 1945. There were a lot more Pioneer's built and supplied after this. My recovery is chassis no. 5961 and was not ordered until 1945. For interest the first SV2S were built 1939.

If your Pioneer stayed in service after the war then it may well have been rebuilt. If it was there is normally a rebuild plate on the chassis near the chassis number. Also it may have been given a post war military registration of the format two letters two numbers two letters.

Hope that helps.

Ed

It is a rather large plate on the drivers side of the crane wire winch.[/quote

Hi yes the plate on the side of the crane winch on mine also says 1944.

Although i presume at some point in its life the back end has possibly been changed, because the boxes are in the configuration of an explorer? but with out the extra boxes ether side of the spare wheel,

(The spare wheel in the picture was only held on by a single bolt bodged on rather than a proper carriage).

On the nearside the ladder is over the last axle rather than the second axle, it has two planks under the boxes and two that go in from the back. Please see pic.

DSC01688.jpg

Chassis no. 5343

Military H no. 5545293

Order no. S3164

Order date 30/4/1943

It would have been built after the order date so probably some time in 1944 or even into the start of 1945. There were a lot more Pioneer's built and supplied after this. My recovery is chassis no. 5961 and was not ordered until 1945. For interest the first SV2S were built 1939.

If your Pioneer stayed in service after the war then it may well have been rebuilt. If it was there is normally a rebuild plate on the chassis near the chassis number. Also it may have been given a post war military registration of the format two letters two numbers two letters.

Hope that helps.

Ed

Thats fantastic :D, I wasn't very confident i would ever be able to find its military number thanks.

unfortunately there is no rebuild plate present. is it posible to find out if it was given a post war registration and what it might be, or could it be DEA768.

It just shows you there is a wealth of knowledge on here and all you have to do is ask.

thanks again.

Neil.

DEA768 could well be the original registration when it was sold in to civvy street. You should be able to find out from the DVLA when it was issued. That hopefully will then give you an idea as to when it left the military.

Ed

Hi All,

Neil, DEA 768 was issued as a civil registration in West Bromwich in 1948.

The first number in the series in January that year was DEA 560, and DEA 999 was issued in August 1948, so yours is somewhere between the two.

This is likely to have always been this vehicle's civilian registration number from first registration after disposal. Because of this, there will be no postwar 'rebuild ' plate with the army sequence 12AB34, since it was disposed of before this numbering system was introduced (1948?).

Best Regards,

Prof

12 AB 34 is a RAF number the ARMY sequence started in 1949 with BB all wartime B vehicles which stayed in service after the war were renumbered in sequences with R Y X and Z

Hi Wally,

Thanks for the clarification. I only meant the 12AB34 as an example of the layout, but I see how now how that sequence could cause a little confusion. :)

Thanks for the further information.

My own jeep went from M1550911 to 20YH56 during this period, something you confirmed for me 20 years ago!

I enjoyed meeting you at your museum at the time. Do you know what eventually happened to the early sectioned MB that was in external storage at Beverley?

Best Regards,

Prof