1970's Land Rover Shorland MKIII APC armored car on CraigsList

teletech

I think this one is in SLC, Utah.

It is ex-UDR. His description about the early Mk 3 Shorlands actually being based on Series 2A Land Rovers is spot on. Most people assume that Mk 3 Shorlands were exclusively built on Series 3 Land Rovers. His is also correct in saying the Mk 2 was sold alongside the Mk 3. A pity of few some of these magazines & books haven't got that right.

But perhaps he has read the website :D

His description about the early Mk 3 Shorlands actually being based on Series 2A Land Rovers is spot on ... But perhaps he has read the website :D

Suspect you are being a little disingenuous there, Clive. More cut and pasted the paragraph whole from the Mk 3 section of the site!

Clive, why did the Shorlands have that boat tail? It seems like wasted space. Was it used for storage or a particular purpose?

Sean that is a question I am often asked. Suggestions being with an extended roof you could fit another 2 or even 4 men in the back. That is all extra weight to lug around particularly with a 4-cylinder as they originally were. It was essentially a weapons mount for the .30 Browning to be used by the Reserve Force as a highly mobile units to respond to incidents. There was an an APV version the SB301 with no turret that Janes tells us was first prototyped in 1973, not correct as I used to own the first prototype built in 1968.

Wayne there are just a handful over there. The turret makes it popular as with the Ferret, it is regarded as a "Tank"! That is a major selling point. Of course all the import costs & licences are added to the value in perpetuity. I have to say that the 40 or so Mk 3 Shorlands I looked at 28 years ago had pretty poor chassis's even then.

Sean that is a question I am often asked. Suggestions being with an extended roof you could fit another 2 or even 4 men in the back. That is all extra weight to lug around particularly with a 4-cylinder as they originally were.

It did occur to me that a full length armoured section would be a lot of extra weight - probably too much. A bobbed tail finishing immediately after the rear axle would have saved even the weight of the boat tail section, while still getting the same cabin space. However they couldn't have done that with the leaf sprung chassis. I assume the boat tail is just a big empty box rather than storage space??

The rear surface could act as a storage platform for VCP signs etc. There are welded loops (4 on MK 1 & 2 on Mk 3) that can be used for anchorage points.

These loops also serve as handles with which the crew can extricate themselves from the escape hatch. It is all too easy to roll out of the back. Although escape on the Mk 3 is rather hampered by an armoured extractor fan that restricts the degree to which the escape hatch can be opened.