Identification

Davey089

I have two combat jackets I've had for a while the Smith & Co number 8415-39-132-1824 size 4 and another by Clayton Mills Number 8415-99-132-1823 Size 3 . I'm wanting to know the pattern and what era are they from .

1st pic is the Smith & Co

IMG_0863.jpg

IMG_0864.jpg

Both 100% certainty 68 pattern smocks, between about 1972 and 1985 when the 85 pattern came in. Easily identifiable by the pre-metric sizes and the button cuffs - later types had velcro. I agree with the previous poster that the bluer zip one is likely to be earlier.

I was wondering if they were 68 Pattern , the Smith & Co is hardly used ,the other has a some stitching done near a pocket . I bought these a good while ago when I used to do alot of rough shooting , but only used the Clayton jacket .............couldn't beat the old lined combats for shooting :D, use to have the trousers that went with them .

1968 Pattern NSN's changed around 1976-77 from "8405" to "8415"..................it is thought that this followed a change to the garments' outer fabric from 100% cotton satin-backed drill to a part-synthetic fabric............trials were conducted in BAOR and NI between 1974-76 to test the newer fabric..............this was because the older 100% cotton fabric had been found to have poor shrink-resistance and was heavy in hot/summer weather..............the newer fabric was intended to improve upon shrink-resistance, wear, and weight.........plus improved camouflage print colour retention with less fading....................older stocks of garments and fabric however continued to be used up for several years after..........up to the early 80s in fact..............

Replacement for the 1968 Pattern first appeared in 1984...........no lining and velcro cuffs............I know this as I was issued with one in that year ! After using it a few times I reverted to my tried and tested 68 Pattern ensemble..........:undecided:

1968 Pattern NSN's changed around 1976-77 from "8405" to "8415"..................it is thought that this followed a change to the garments' outer fabric from 100% cotton satin-backed drill to a part-synthetic fabric............trials were conducted in BAOR and NI between 1974-76 to test the newer fabric..............this was because the older 100% cotton fabric had been found to have poor shrink-resistance and was heavy in hot/summer weather..............the newer fabric was intended to improve upon shrink-resistance, wear, and weight.........plus improved camouflage print colour retention with less fading....................older stocks of garments and fabric however continued to be used up for several years after..........up to the early 80s in fact..............

Replacement for the 1968 Pattern first appeared in 1984...........no lining and velcro cuffs............I know this as I was issued with one in that year ! After using it a few times I reverted to my tried and tested 68 Pattern ensemble..........:undecided:

Thanks for that ,very informative , so they are both 68 pattern though they differ slightly in shade and zip , I would imagine this being down to the different manufacturers ? I take it each maker produced their own materials rather than purchasing from one specified MOD supplier hence the difference in shade .