Ferret ignition timing

MiketheBike

Question

yet another question...sorry guys!

How do I check the ignition timing on a Ferret? I cannot see the timing mark on the flywheel (I can just about see the teeth). Or is there some trick to viweing the timing mark?

Do you just set up the static timing as best you can (by looking down into cyclinder one, and getting TDC kinda right)?

How do I (or can I) check if the centrifugal weights that advance the timing are working correctly without using a timing lamp?

I also want to check that the synchronising plate has not been moved (the red paint has been broken on the fixing screws), and without seeing the timing marks on the flywheel is getting the piston at TDC close enough for this check?

Thanks,

Mick

2 answers to this question

Mick,

There are timing marks on the flywheel. If you can get someone to turn the engine over while you shine a light through the inspection hole you should be able to find it. I timed my engine by adusting the distributor a little bit at a time, starting it up and listening to it. Not the official way of doing it but you can pretty much time it by ear! There's a plug on the side of the distributor you can squirt oil in to lubricate the timing weights.

Chris

Chris,

is that the inspection hole for the fluid flywheel?

I have got it kind of right by ear, but I am worried that the synchronisation plate has been moved and would like to see what the static timing for cyclinder 1 and cylinder 6 tells me.

Thanks,

Mick