Hercules RXC water pump

Hi all

hopefully i have the exhaust manifold for my 969 sorted, the other issue with my T is the water pump which was dripping slightly when i bought it and i was told that you can pump grease in to help seal the drive shaft. a lass it has got so bad it has emptied all the coolant over 2 days so it is not going to fix itself. i looked at it earlier and it looks like a straight forward procedure to remove it. as i have already removed the air box so you can see it clearly, so what i would like to know is there anything i must be aware of when removing it and disconnecting the pipes. as i noticed there is a solid copper pipe going to the air compressor which i am assuming is to cool the air compressor. any advice or help would be greatly appreciated.

cheers sam

Hi Sam

The water pump is straight forward to take off, just be gentle undoing the bolts that

attach the pump to the block, they can shear off if your not careful.

Before you take the pump off have you tried adjusting the big nut on the main shaft.

If you tighten the nut up it will squash the rubber gland and the packing up on the shaft.

All so did you use proper water pump grease.

If this doesn't work you can get a pump repair kit from the contact i gave in Denmark.

Hop this helps.

Hi Mal

i don't know if the grease i used is the correct stuff but it made no difference as every time i started the T it would get worse and worse. i removed the pump today and the bearings seem fine but when you spin it it sounds very dry and the shaft appears quite rusty so it may be it just wants stripping and given a good clean. Andy Blackford who is my local T expert said the seals can fail if the truck is not ran for long periods of time with the coolant drained as the seals dry out then crack. i don't think the truck got used much in Cameron's owner ship so this could be a possibility so i shall pull it apart tomorrow after work and see what i really have.

regards sam