Asbestos

Sean N

What does everyone do about asbestos brake & clutch linings - not those already fitted, but old stock?

Reason I ask is as I'm having a clearout and I've found a lot of old brake and clutch linings, and complete shoes / pads / plates. I've come to the conclusion it's going to be difficult to do anything other than bin them all, which seems a shame, but I think needs to be done.

I agree they probably have asbestos in and are therefore a hazard to health although it is the dust created that I believe is the danger so while they are undisturbed in their boxes I can see little danger. The problem is when they are used and the drums have brake dust in, then when you are changing them you MUST wear a proper mask and avoid the dust at all cost. I suppose it depends how rare they are and if you make anyone using them aware that they will contain asbestos hence a mask is essential where any dust is present. People are more aware now of the risks involved so hopefully care would be taken because of this.

Edited by arcot1751

Legally, we aren't allowed to sell any components containing asbestos, nor fit them to a motor vehicle...eBay don't seem to have cottoned-on to that yet as NOS brake components regularly appear.

http://www.hse.gov.uk/mvr/mechanical-repair/asbestos.htm

It would certainly be a shame to scrap original shoes. However, in theory the linings should be removed and disposed of as asbestos waste.

It's pretty horrible stuff. The great shame is that modern replacements don't seem to work so well for day to day use.

What does everyone do about asbestos brake & clutch linings - not those already fitted, but old stock?

Reason I ask is as I'm having a clearout and I've found a lot of old brake and clutch linings, and complete shoes / pads / plates. I've come to the conclusion it's going to be difficult to do anything other than bin them all, which seems a shame, but I think needs to be done.

Hi,

If you're asking how to dispose of them safely - our local council tip has an asbestos skip. Might be worth a call.

- MG

As I say, I've got a load of the things here, acquired years ago often as part of job lots. Having had H&S responsibilities and asbestos awareness training, I personally don't see what I can do with them other than bin them. I understand it's illegal to supply or fit them in any way, even free, let alone sell them. I feel it's a shame not to be able to use perfectly serviceable linings, some of which may be difficult or impossible to source in a non-asbestos material, but they don't owe me a lot of money, what money they did owe was spent 15+ years ago, and given the moral, legal and safety issues I don't see that I can pass them on anyway.

Mike, yes, the council here have the same provision. In fact, they're starting to charge for disposal soon, which is what's brought it to mind. They can have the shoes complete though - there's no way I'm messing about stripping asbestos linings from shoes, the professionals can do that.

However, the fact is that very few preserved MVs or classic vehicles will do enough miles ever to get through a decent set of brake or clutch linings, and I'd guess that most of the MVs out there in private hands - possibly apart from recent restorations, post 2004 - are running around with asbestos linings in. Same will apply to older vehicles in general use - horseboxes, for example. I don't get involved with a big enough variety of vehicles these days to know whether there are any issues with non-asbestos replacement, such as availability or behaviour.

I see asbestos linings on eBay regularly - I suspect that the sellers either don't know or don't care that it's illegal, and it's probably too difficult for eBay to police; they'd have to check every listing to see whether they're asbestos or not. Similarly many autojumblers seem to quite happily sell NOS linings that are highly likely to have asbestos in, and many classic vehicle owners happily buy them, so people are still using them while presumably aware of the dangers.

So, I wasn't really asking anything specific, just was interested in people's thoughts and attitudes because it's in my mind at the moment.