Sunderland Generator

nz2

I have been recently shown a generator on a heavy cast bed plate with the name Sunderland Forge and Engineering Co. Ltd cast along the sides.

A Google search shows they were very much into providing equipment for ships, and some reference to war time supplies. I have located a line drawing of a ship board generating plant with the same style of generator coupled to a vertical steam engine.

The patern of the electrical widings and the nature of the base plate makes me think of an earlier time period than WW11, however it could be eary WW11. The weight of the base plate would not make it all the suitable as a mobile unit.

No numbers or stamp makes could be located , although the light was fading rapidly and the search was not great.

The story goes that this unit was used to supply power to a searchlight ( missing), then later to supply power to a location off the national grid.

A search through the Forum brings up no reference so far on this manufacturer.

There is an additional steel plate over the generator on this example, this could be an addition for protection from the weather, or as a design change over the years of manufacture.

Interested to know of possable dating to the unit and it's possble linkage to war use with a search light. Also what voltage would have it produced.

Doug

generator Sunderland Forge1  Alt eml 1452.jpg

generator Sunderland Forge2  alt eml 1445.jpg

Sunderland forge generator .jpg

Sunderland  generator alt eml 4 1500.jpg