Need help identifying this Land Rover Series II

DoctorCheney223

Hello folks,

I purchased this vehicle earlier this week and have an idea of what it is but I can't be 100%. The gauges are centered in the dash instead of being directly in front of the driver. Also, this vehicle was never converted to left-hand drive for the US market. I paid $3,000 for the vehicle which included shipping to Las Vegas from Southern California.

We were able to get it started and it runs as long as we keep giving it a bit of throttle. It won't go into gear so I am assuming the clutch is rusted??

V/R

Ron M Cheney

image (3).jpg

image (4).jpg

image (5).jpg

image (6).jpg

LandRover Series II.jpg

There are some interesting attributes that would lead one to believe that it is ex military.

Here are what I have noticed:-

1 rear cross member appears military but end cross section looks like a piece of channel

2 lower left rear panel has threaded mount piece for stowage of trailer light cap

3 MV style light of licence plate.

4 white body red lens reflector MV style.

That is what I see at a glance, any data plates on the seat box or shadows of where they once were?

What is the serial number on the manufacturers plate? Does it match the front right chassis horn stamped serial number?

What about the engine bay? Can you show us more?

R

It is a Series 2a 88" Rover 10 (early - deep sill , headlamps in radiator panel) , manuf. abt 1967 to 1979 , it would have been 12 volt because hardly any 24 volt were made.

A Rover 10 (late , very , very ,very rare - shallow sill & headlamps in wing front panels)

Not a S2 Rover MK6 or S2a Rover MK8 , the only alternatives. This is because clearly it is a single wiper motor model with Rover 10 demister. The steering wheel is black plastic on cellulose (3 spoke) not the earlier wire spoke..

btw , the bonnet is wrong , it is a De-luxe type , you should have a razor edge.

The rear No. plate would have been at the other side (in fact it is a shielded type also used for convoy lamp)

The present Reg plate (rear) is covering where the Warner socket would be , the screw on cover is quite heavy so is on chain & retained on the retainer (that is a casting & mounted on a packer plate , or is it two LoL

Edited by ruxy

You should have a nomenclature plate like this , or just 4 holes on bulkhead to right of steering tube.

IMG_1062.jpg

Probably same contract, find chassis No. branded on dumb-iron , thicker plate front spring bolt goes through.

From this , the Vehicle No. in form of ??ES?? can be found on "B" vehicle card.

Museum of Army Transport .

Deepcut Barracks

But they charge abt. £30

What about the 101 behind, care to share that one, I have a daft soft spot for that one.

R

Here's a picture of the 101 that I purchased as well.

As for more pics, we are about to leave for Southern California with the kids for several days and I won't be able to check for the data plates until Thursday at the earliest.

LandRoverTruck.jpg

It is a Series 2a 88" Rover 10 (early - deep sill , headlamps in radiator panel) , manuf. abt 1967 to 1979 , it would have been 12 volt because hardly any 24 volt were made.

A Rover 10 (late , very , very ,very rare - shallow sill & headlamps in wing front panels)

Not a S2 Rover MK6 or S2a Rover MK8 , the only alternatives. This is because clearly it is a single wiper motor model with Rover 10 demister. The steering wheel is black plastic on cellulose (3 spoke) not the earlier wire spoke..

According to DVLA, it was manufactured in 1966 and after disposal first civilian registered in July 1975