CVRT Heat Exchanger Hoses

Sidewinder

Hi,

Tried fitting the four hoses that run from the heat exchanger to the engine and gearbox today. After a lot of swearing and contorting myself into various unnatural positions I finally got them on and finger tight. Why didn't I fit them before dropping the engine in the hull?!?

So, two questions:

What is the correct routing for the pipes? I assume the two for the gearbox run under the sump then up past the starter to the bulkhead. But what about the two for the engine oil, under the sump or round the back of the engine under the crank pulley and bottom coolant pipe?

How do you tighten the pipes up on the heat exchanger? I can't get any movement with the spanner I have that fits the unions as it's either wedged tight between the engine and hull side. Hoping there's an insider trick and I'm not going to have to lift the pack!

Oh, also how do you fit the cooling fan?! Does the front pulley come off? Again there is no room between the gearbox bulkhead and front of the engine but sure I've read somewhere the fan can be fitted with the engine in place?

Cheers!

James

I think you'll be there all week trying to put those hoses on with the engine in place. The fittings are angled and can be a bugger to get right at the best of times. My advice is lift the engine out, put them on in the right place, tie the ones for the gearbox up near the carb, fit the exhaust all the way to the y piece and then put the engine back in. I have done lots and always do it this way. Most take out units you see still have the pipes and exhaust connected this way too.

Chris (still in Normandy!)

Agree with Chris on this one Im afraid, it is only 4 bolts and will be quicker in the long run. And do them up flippin tight. You can then sort the fan properly too. Dont forget to tension the fanbelt. There is no tensioner mechanism you just pull the fan upwards on its bolts until it is reasonably tight (but not TOO tight as that knckrs the bearings). Taking the fan pulleys off has always been very hard work whenever I've done it

Thanks guys, not quite the answer I was hoping for but that'll teach me not too rush ahead I guess! :blush:

I've found the right sized crows foot spanner on eBlag for a few quid, it's not even worth bothering with then? It looks as though it could reach the pipes unions but if the engines got to come out for the fan anyway...

Sure I read somewhere the fan could be put in with the engine in situ.. ah well..

James