Heavy Duty Degreaser before a pressure washing

Rover8FFR

I wanted to pressure wash the chassis and axles / running gear of my Pig to remove all the oil, grease and filth, including sheep flock that has amalgamated over the years.

In some places the GOO is quite thick and it would obviously take forever to use a rag soaked in diesel or similar.

I know that Gunk is in the shops, but think this need the Mega Duty version of that.

What proprietary products are available for such jobs, or am I best buying a gallon of the Karcher type liquids that mix with the water and blast and clean in one.

Also I need to be aware of any really sensitive parts that a pressure washer would harm on the Pig.

The product needs to be paint friendly too.

Thanks in advance.

Foaming oven cleaner? Have found it can be quite effective.

I did wonder about that one myself, as it does quite a good job on enamel surfaces, but wasn't sure about painted ones.

Thanks for your input

Sheep fluff hmm I had a lot of that underneath my Pig :nut:

As I degreaser I use paint brush cleaner. Relatively cheap not overtly inflammable & water soluble. Might need to work in with a stout brush for the really heavy deposits. I put drip tray underneath to collect most of the liquid, tip it into large jars so the worst of the sludge can separate out then use the less contaminated stuff for the first attack on the grease to soften it up. Then fresh for the final treatment, then use the power wash.

I did wonder about that one myself, as it does quite a good job on enamel surfaces, but wasn't sure about painted ones.

Thanks for your input

Go to your local hgv parts supplier,not a high street shop, and get some TFR (traffic film remover) wash off as much goo as you can with hose and use the cleaner to work into the parts with a stiff paintbrush. You can also mix it with water and put in jetwash machines. It's we hat we use in work for decreasing and cleaning. Use in hot or cold water. You will get 25litres for what you would normally pay on high street for a gallon!! Have you tried one of the clampdown/solvent dispensers to connect to air compressor,ideal for applying in all areas.

Thanks Clive. All, again useful.

I notice that Swarfega do an Oil and Grease removing liquid that can be used on all sorts of surfaces, including driveways and paving slabs / concrete and be applied by rag, brush and added to power washers etc.

Its less than £9 for 5L, so I may well give that a go to get the initial shiiiiiiiiite off!

I can then do the fiddly bits up close with either the brush cleaner or even oven cleaner as they would not warrant the power washer and 150Psi touch.

I will probably add some before and after images to this thread so as to share my experiences of different methods.

Cheers

I have just tested some stuff called Uno SV from Crioch Industries. It is a viscous foaming degreaser and I was surprised that it was as good as it was. Being sticky it clings to vertical surfaces and underneath bits rather than dripping off and it does not dry out for ages and ages. It also seems to be very kind to paint etc. Well worth a try

The contact is stuart@criochindustries.co.uk

Oh and I have nowt to do with these chaps, just happy to use a product that seems to help.