Trailer ID please...

Anyone know what this is / was?

Approx 10' long + drawbar and 3' wide. The plate says 'Standard trailer 35cwt' can't read the rest. Ackermann type steering, cable brakes, leaf springs, split rims I think - probably 8", appears to have been yellow originally.

Bomb or torpedo carrier perhaps?

WD trailer 3.jpg

The plan was to build it into a club canoe trailer but concern as to what it would tow like at speed outweighed the possible entertainment value of watching the 'I'm the greatest' department trying to reverse it.

Any interest in it if it were to become available?

WD trailer 1.jpg

WD trailer 2.jpg

This chassis dates from early 1950s and was designed to carry 4 cylinders of gas. this could be oxygen, air dry air, nitrogen, carbon dioxide, breathing quality air. In the attached it is configured to carry nitrogen. The container on the box contains a pressure regulater and associated valves and gauges. In later years surplus chassis were employed in various roles on airfields. Towing speed was 5 mph, manufactured in a blue colour, to BS 169 known in the BS table as Traffic Blue. We refered to the colour as ground equipment blue. at various times yellow was employed as the colour for this type of kit, later in 1974 we went over to BS 285 NATO green on mist operational airfields. This colour blue was much brighter than the Blue grey colour used on MT vehicles.

The equipment was replaced in the late 1990s !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Nitrogen charging trolley.jpg

Edited by ted angus

Thanks for that. I'm impressed that you have a photo of one in action - and with a Vulcan! I'm not so sure I want to get rid of it now...

All due to a mispent life I won't tell you how many of those towing arms i fixed over the years ! you will note a very limited lock.

TEd