Oil - Bedford MW

44GPW

Question

Hi guys,

Just doing me pre France vehicle maintenance.

Can someone please advise of the engine oil weight for an MW. Thought i'd seen it on here somewhere but cannot find it.

I use the Halfords Classic 20w50 (Green/Cream tin) in the Jeep. Would the same be ok in the Bedford or not??

Thanks

Richard

8 answers to this question

I use the same in both my Dodges, lovley stuff! Worth flushing the MW engine before using the 20/50 . Get rid of the muck before adding a detrgent oil. The flush I use is Forte, not cheap but does the job really well. I flushed out my WC54 with the stuff and then put her over to Halford's 20/50. After a couple of hundred miles the oil is still spotless clean.

Although I agree with the principal of flushing an engine out, I'd be hesitant to flush an engine that is running fine so close to a major event. It is not impossible that removing a few decades of crud will open up a few leaks that otherwise had been holding well. In an extreme case, thinking about one I know of, even cause a drop in oil pressure due to opened up 'tolerances'. Straight SAE30, low detergent such as the stuff Morris Lubricants supply is what you need.

Straight SAE30, low detergent such as the stuff Morris Lubricants supply is what you need.

No Signals ......... you are quite correct.

If an engine is unknown and has been running on a straight low or non detergent oil, then using a multigrade detergent oil is going to loosen the crud. We have gone though this many times before. These engines do not have full flow filtration and therefore that is why we still use straight low or non detergent oils. Ask the oil companies tech departments, they will say the same.

regards, Richard

No Signals ......... you are quite correct.

If an engine is unknown and has been running on a straight low or non detergent oil, then using a multigrade detergent oil is going to loosen the crud. We have gone though this many times before. These engines do not have full flow filtration and therefore that is why we still use straight low or non detergent oils. Ask the oil companies tech departments, they will say the same.

regards, Richard

As you say Richard we have gone through this so many times it is past being boring. I don't understand some peoples obsession with 20/50:nut:,it must have something to do with the ad campaigns conducted years ago by Duckhams and Castrol:D

Thanks guy's.

As No Signals was the previous owner and it currently purrs like a kitten i will go with his advice.... no flushing and straight SAE 30 oil.

Very wise :thumbsup: