What is the best way to preserve wooden parts on vehicles

Niels v

Hi

Well most of us have a methode for keeping rust off the metal on our vehicles.

But I was wandering what people do to keep wood parts of the vehicle from rotting or drying out?

I spend my saturday, brushing the lockers, floor and every other woodenpart that I could on my Scammell Pioneer, with linseed oil mix 1:1 with turpentine.

The vertical wooden surfaces on the rear body are painted, but the not the floor and horisontal surfaces. In some places the wood was so dry it sucked olie instandly from the brush when it touched it.

Linseed oil do not offer any protection, on its own, aginst fungi, to do this it has to mixed with pine tar.

I use the oil with out the tar because my Scammell is stored in doors so there is not much need for fungus protection.

But what do you guys out there use for preserving the wood, painted/unpainted?

The wood on the WC21 we had was very dry and allmost rotten.

For protection I used varnish for floorboards.

First heavily diluted and continuing in concentration.

So it wasn't just a outer layer but more or less soaked all the way in.

Just remember that Creosote is banned for use by Non-Professional contractors in the UK.

Creosote substitutes are widely available and less harmful to the environment.

However if you want a more natural look that and do not want the aroma of a telegraph pole then Danish oil is extremely durable.

It is also important that the product is allowed to breath.

Some useful info on Danish (Dutch) Oil.

What is Danish Oil?

Top quality Danish Oil is made to be absorbed into wood, protecting, nourishing and ‘feeding’ the wood from the inside. It is easy to apply, has an attractive ‘natural’ low sheen finish and excellent long-term protective properties.

danishoilgroup-300x214.jpg

Danish Oil has the following benefits:-

• It is very easy to apply with a cotton cloth or a brush.
  • It dries in 4-6 hours per coat.
  • It contains over 50% Pure Tung Oil.
  • It is food and toy safe when dry.
  • It gives an attractive natural low sheen finish.
  • It has a low odour when drying, and none when dry.
  • It is specially formulated to penetrate deep into all types of timber, nourishing and protecting.
  • It does not leave a surface film or varnish, and will not chip, flake, crack or peel.
  • It is dirt resistant and will resist stains from wine, beer, coffee, tea, coca-cola, orange juice and food.
  • It is naturally water resistant, yet is microporous to water vapour allowing the wood to ‘breathe’

Danish Oil can be used on almost any wooden surface, including interior and exterior furniture, doors, window frames, cladding, hardwood floors, skirting boards, gates, children’s play areas, kitchen worktops, turned wood, musical instruments and food preparation areas etc.

Danish Oil is naturally water, food and alcohol resistant. It is safe for food contact when dry and can be used for wooden bowls, chopping boards and butchers blocks. It is certified EN71 toy safe. We do not use any synthetic or modified resins or varnish in our Danish Oil.

Danish Oil is simple to use and easy to maintain. Re-application of one or two thin coats every year will keep wood looking naturally ‘fresh’. Damaged or scratched areas can easily be maintained by reapplication of Danish Oil.

Danish Oil is suitable for use with all softwood and hardwood, including exterior oak and teak.

Edited by Rover8FFR
added info