Saracen - Torsion Bar Unloading Tool

Mettlen

Hi All,

I'm in the process of stripping my Saracen and the next stage is removing the wheel stations and suspension and in particular the torsion bars. Clearly the torsion bars are under considerable load. I note there is a special tool to remove these torsion bars (see below) detailed in V613 Technical Handbook - Unit repairs. I guess 3 questions;

1. Does anybody know if I can buy one from somewhere?

2. Does anybody know of a company who can make one?

3. What alternative methods have folks been using if they don't have this tool (with destroying vehicle parts)

Torsion Bar Unloading Tool.jpg

When a manual includes a technical drawing of a tool like that, it is intended that the workshop manufactures it for themselves.

Any local contract engineering firm can make those for you; just give them a copy of the drawings a few hours and some money, or you can do it yourself if you have a welder and some basic metalworking supplies.

Cheers,

Terry

I made one (see "Ozzie Saladin") but didn't entirely trust my welds. So I wound the adjuster down to expose about 23 threads, then put on the unloader to take up the tension (but without trying to wind it down any further). Then wound the adjuster up to the top again and it was well clear to remove. Having said that, it wasn't hard to make the unloader, and I suspect it will be needed when putting the wheel stations back on.

James

Something I can't for the life of me work out is how the tool works. The centre section passes through a hole in the body and then has the large hex section threaded onto it. From James' photo, it appears that rturning the hex extends the centre to hold the torsion bar up, but what retains the hex against the body? From the drawing, it looks like unscrewing the hex would simply remove it and not extend the centre. What am I missing?

Cheers,

Terry

• 1 year later...

In the end i made the component parts myself and got it professionally welded. Professional workshops were quoting £400+vat to make. I estimate mine was less than £100 all up!4449b73d047d21173b7201a3f4878392.jpg

Sent from my GT-N7105 using Tapatalk