2-axle GMC trailer recovery

TooTallMike

Last Saturday Nick Hobbs and I collected the last of the bits from the place I've been emptying.

The main thing was a tandem-axle GMC trailer of the type used to transport searchlights, smoke generators, electrical generators and as a fire control 'director's' trailer. After clearing the crap from around it and raising the jacks, it actually moved very easily. We cleared all the dead car parts from inside and found the frame and many parts for a second Jeep-engined generator. I'm not sure what I'll do with this yet. I may hang onto it as a prop (photos to follow in a few weeks' time). We also found the second wing from the Autocar as well as more Ward Lafrance parts. I used my pickup to tow the trailer out, Nick pumped two of the tyres up and we loaded Matt's generator in the back alongside the 'new' one.

The trailer towed beautifully apart from a bad bounce at 32mph because of a bad flat spot on one of the tyres. I was cruising at 50 before realising that even when new this trailer would only have been rated for about 45!

This was a good find and it’s in remarkably good condition. All 4 jacks raise and lower fine. The floor is a bit rotten but it’s only chequer-plate and will be easy to replace. The tailgate was in among a load of parts we’d previously collected.

I’ll leave Nick to follow this up once he’s had time to look at it properly.

A few more photos taken back at the farm. As Mike has said, she is in pretty good condition.

We think that is was originally used as a generator trailer as there is evidence of two angle iron "running rails" on the trailer bed, however, these have since been removed. However, from initial research, generator trailers tended to have hoops and a canvas over them but there is no-where on this trailer to fix the hoops. More research is required. In any case, we'll probably put one of our maxon turrets on it instead.

A few weeks of hardwork later in the year should get her looking like new!

Another piece saved from the scrapman and added to the collection!

Once Matt has collected his generator (by the way Matt, the rent started on Saturday!!!! and is slowly paying for the purchase of the trailer!!!!) I'll take some photos of the floor detail.

The trailer has now been covered over and is in storage.

More info will be posted as it becomes available.

You did not even take the Autocar of the trailer?

Time......I'm still trying to find out how to fit 2 days into 24 hours just like everyone else!

Now that we have finished clearing the yard I sould be able to get the Autocar off the lorry and into storage........and also get the WLF into a more favourable position in the field and under cover!

Nick,

Stop press: that handwheel at the front may not be a handbrake as we thought - I think it's actually for raising the axles, thus lowering the trailer deck to ground level for ease of loading. I've just found a bit of info on these in one of my books. Some have the 4 jacks & some don't, and there are different types of rear ramp. I think you need to post some pics on cckw.org. Someone over there will know exactly what it is.

Mike,

I've been looking at info as well and the handwheel is a bit different. Most tended to have the hand winch. I'm currently bidding on ebay for the TM which covers all the types of these trailers which ends tonight so hopefully will have a bit more info in a few days time. Will check that before posting on cckw - will keep you posted. The tailgate we found definately fits so that is now installed.

Pulled the WLF into a slightly better position in the field today so at least I could get the half shafts back in without scrambling through the holly tree!

Call me when you want to pick up your other bits and pieces.