Bofors Battery wireless set ?

POPPY

Question

Good afternoon all,

As an ex Royal Signals driver Lineman (1996-2013) I would like to kit my 1944 Ford CMP LAA Bofors Gun tractor with some authentic radio equipment!

Question

1- Did each gun tractor have an 18, 38, or 68 set radio installed to link the gun battery with RHQ or did they use another method of communication ?

2- I have read in my copy of 'True Loyals' that a wireless truck assisted the SP Bofors guns at Pegasus bridge on D-Day, Did each gun battery have an F set field telephone laid to each gun with cable ???

Im fortunate to own a Ford CMP LAA Gun tractor and am planning on taking her to Pegasus bridge for the 70th !

I'm dedicating my truck to the True Loyals (92nd) and the Royal Signals and would like to display the correct radio equipment.

The True Loyals took 6 x SP Morris bofors guns to protect the bridges (Pegasus + Horsa) along with 3 x support trucks (Ford CMP LAA Gun tractors to assist with extra 40mm Ammo and vehicle winch if needed.

any help at all will be greatly appreciated !

kind regards

Mark

3 answers to this question

Someone on here should be more able to help, but my thoughts are possibly a 17 set and a telephone set L or J would be best. A 38 set would be too short range and is basically a platoon set.

Thanks very much for your reply 😄

kind regards

Mark

ex BSA M20

1944 Bofors Gun Tractor F60S