it came out of a Saracen....

Cold_War_Collection

Question

Nick,

what brand and specific colour are you using for the silver interior finish of the Shocking Sadcan? Is it an off the shelf product or did you have some elves in a secret location make it for you?

Could you post a shot of the can itself if is off the shelf?

Thanks

R

Having researched this for the Abbot, it's quite interesting. The original fire-resisting aluminium paint to DEF STAN 80-9/1 is more aluminium particles in suspension than a normal paint. You don't seem to be able to buy it any more but Clive managed to find me a couple of old tins.

IMG_3004aw.jpg

It doesn't fade as such, just gradually forms a dull oxidised surface layer, which has a nasty habit of rubbing off on skin or clothes. When first applied it is very, very shiny!

IMG_5330aw.jpg

Andy

Nick,

what brand and specific colour are you using for the silver interior finish of the Shocking Sadcan? Is it an off the shelf product or did you have some elves in a secret location make it for you?

Could you post a shot of the can itself if is off the shelf?

Thanks

R

Hi Robin,

As its a mix we do here, sorry, no picture of a Label, but...our mix is the following

Glasurit (mfg.)

Mix code CMO 839

this give a hard wearing silver finish that matches the original as painted, but has no fade or wear off issues.

Cheers

Nick

Hi Nick,

I guess this might be late and redundant, but here are some pics of the placement of the shocker on my Saracen, One from 1973, on from today. Thanks to Terry (Starfire) for enlightening me to what it does--- I was Fiddling with it and thought, "Great, another thing that doesnt work, WELL, MAYBE IF I TURN IT ON AND CLIMB AROUND THE MACHINE, I'LL GET AN IDEA WHAT IT DOES....." :shocked:

Wont do that now, thanks to this thread!

IMG_20140903_155030.jpg

5160-C14.jpg

Not a problem! The inverted oil bottle is also part of the system; it contains water that theoretically wets the chain, providing a better earth connection.

If either of you don't want your shockers, I'd be more than willing to take them off of you :D

Cheers,

Terry

Oh, another thing worth mentioning is that the fitment in the photo is correct for a Mk 2 or 3, but may not suit a Mk 5 or 6; they tended to move a lot of internal fittings around in those in order to accommodate the other differences in those versions.

Cheers,

Terry