Help with (possible) purchase

TechnicianJack

Hello,

I hope this is in the right section! (Was undecided between here and the British Vehicles section. Feel free to move if it isn't)

I had a post on the forum asking for information previously about FFR, but I missed the auction ending!

I have been considering purchasing a Land Rover for a while, particularly a FFR truck, which don't come up for sale too often (at least in original condition).

This has come up on eBay, and doesn't look too bad seeing as it has retained its roof. I have seen other trucks from Blanchard's that have been uncovered and you can see through the bulkhead!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Land-Rover-RHD-Series-3-Ex-Military-109-24-Volt-Pick-Up-61-KB-66-/141138760866?pt=Automobiles_UK&hash=item20dc8694a2

I am just looking for a second opinion on this. It says that is is missing parts, which looks to be all of the lights as well as the front bumperettes. Also, the rear crossmember is wrong. Is it possible to get hold of replacement lights, and is how difficult is it to replace the crossmember with the correct military type?

Is there someone who could view this on my behalf? The truck is at the other end of the country to where I am! It would be a 7 hour round trip to go to see this! If it's too far gone, I would rather save my money than buy this then find out I need to replace the chassis!

If not, does anyone have a 109 FFR for sale? I am in the East of England, so the closer the better! I don't want to pay more than about £1500-£2000 max.

I have also posted this on the EMLRA forum.

Thanks for your help,

Jack.

I'm not sure why Blanchards have listed it as an FFR but that from initial looks it appears perhaps to be a CL instead for which the bumpers front and rear are appropriate.

Blanchards are fairly approachable and open and fair people to deal with. I would give them a call and tell them what you want.

No relation / connection to Blanchards

Robin

Edited by robin craig

the rear crossmember is a civilian one that has been put on a military chassis.

Not uncommon for it to be done in service as I believe there was no demandable rear cross member other than the Rover civilian one. The military rear cross members available now are repro.

I have contacted Blanchards and they said that the alternator and the distributor are in it, and the rear crossmember is a civilian one that has been put on a military chassis.

Jack.

Must be mounted opposite way up with cable coming out the bottom then, but I would have thought it would still be visible.

Mine is like this and pushes the extended air filter up higher than the one at Blanchard'sand cannot come down as far forward. Hence my comment on EMLRA

Mike

ffr motor.jpg

Must be mounted opposite way up with cable coming out the bottom then, but I would have thought it would still be visible.

Mine is like this and pushes the extended air filter up higher than the one at Blanchard'sand cannot come down as far forward. Hence my comment on EMLRA

Mike

Yeah, sorry, I was supposed to reply on that forum!

Don't know if it's mounted like the one in the photo on this page?

http://www.4wdonline.com/Mil/LandRover/LW.html

I also sent another message, and they said the holes for the antenna mounts are on the side of the truck, and the plate on the side is over some damage.

Jack.

Yeah, sorry, I was supposed to reply on that forum!

Don't know if it's mounted like the one in the photo on this page?

http://www.4wdonline.com/Mil/LandRover/LW.html

I also sent another message, and they said the holes for the antenna mounts are on the side of the truck, and the plate on the side is over some damage.

Jack.

Jack

Not a problem.

Yes that would explain it an upside down one that places it much lower.

Mike