Scammell Pioneer - Part 2

Thought it was time to put up some pictures of the Scammell Pioneer that I am restoring.Members on here might have followed the first part of the restoration by Madrat . I purchased the Scammell in Mid July 2010.Here it is arriving on the low loader.549.jpg

It was driven off the low loader but with a dodgy starter and no brakes these would be the first jobs to tackle. But in the mean time it was parked up in the shed.

RADIATOR.jpg

There was all the old panels from the cab and various other bits and pieces to find a storage place for, so the next few weekends were spent building a mezanine floor at the back of the shed to store all these. Underneath , a bench and vise were installed for all the hours to be spent degreasing ,needle gunning and wire brushing various components .Oh the joys of owning a piece of Heavy British Engineering!!

547.jpg

548.jpg

• 3 months later...

IMG_3631.jpg

IMG_3632.jpg

Mezzanine in place with all the original panels storred above. Winch stored under neath in right hand corner.. With having got the Scammell home first job was to tackle the starter motor. This was removed to find a worn cog and worn contacts.

PIONEERS 003.jpg

PIONEERS 004.jpg

A new set of contacts, and main shaft were purchased.Then it was discovered that the bush in the started was not all that good so a new one was machined up from brass and inserted into the motor housing.

072.jpg

073.jpg

Starter 008.jpg

Starter 007.jpg

Starter 009.jpg

Starter 010.jpg

Starter 012.jpg

Starter 013.jpg

After sourcing a new shaft I was then informed that my starter must have come off a marine engine as the main shaft was brass and not steel.

Starter 011.jpg

Starter 014.jpg