Ultrasonic Carb Cleaning

simon stolly

I've been Stripping down the carb off the Unimog 404-1, I got from Grumpy. It had been running rough and if what it was caked on the outside off it was any indication, in need of a good clean and overhaul. The carb kit should be here any day now ( coming from Belgium, V.K cars).

Needless to say inside the carb was full of mud and various 'O' rings had perished. The body, base and cap were cleaned ( in the dish washer) :whistle: And came out good on the outside, but still had a lot of residue on the inside.

I then made a few inquiries to having them Ultrasonically cleaned, which is a new process to me, but is used in the jewelry and dentistry trade alot. Bikers and karters rave about how good they are at cleaning carbs, particularly grey imported models that have been standing will cheap foreign fuel for sometime.

Having weighed up the cost of sending the bits off and having it done, I've bought a small ultrasonic cleaner instead (£50, Ebay) I will let you know how I get on.

Anyone else used Ultrasonic cleaning out there??

Yes worked very well. The bigger the object the hotter it gets & the longer it takes. Correct choice of cleaning liquid is important. If are cleaning small items, you could use one of those small units which are about £10 for cleaning a small denture :-D

THE VERDIT;

Ultrasonic carb cleaning rocks!!! :banana: :banana: :banana:

It works very well, the state of the water (yes I'm just using water with a bit of fairey) is testiment to that, and this carb body has been through a dish washer twice.

What cleaning solution do you use?

What cleaning solution do you use?

I could never quite tell, it was a secretive manufacturers product code. The products were expensive & there was little information given in case you improvised. But it would depend if the deposits were calcified, biological etc. As your washing up water looks fairly mucky after use, I think that is sufficient to say just carry on using it.