help with a merlin report please

DefV8

hi all,

i've just got back a merlin report on my snatch and still being new to military vehicle ownership while i can decipher some of the words it would be great if anyone with more experience could shine any light on the report please?

thanks greatly

Rick

31kk48 merlin.jpg

UIN is the Unit Imprest Number. Each unit had an Imprest Account by means of which the Royal Army Pay Corps (now a branch of the Adjutant General's Corps) handled money to and from the public purse. The UIN became a de facto Unit Identity Number. This may even have become the accepted definition.

It doesn't actually you much because the unit name is in the next column anyway.

It is just a record of who held it on their account and dates. IV is issue voucher, RV is receipt voucher (accounting gobbledegook). It has, between issues. been held by a holding organisation in the form of 17 Sqn RLC. Most of the units are guessable - R Irish, SG is Scots Guards, then there are some ad hoc units - such and such BG - battlegroup. It has a brief sojourn with industry presumably getting some sort of mod or rework (British Aerospace) then ends up in store waiting to go to Withams.

If there are any specific nomenclature that you need I will find out for you.

It's a shame your report is difficult to read, but having deciphered others using UINs, I can tell you it's not 17 Sp Sqn RLC but 57 Sp Sqn RLC who are, as has been correctly deduced, a vehicle holding Sqn in Northern Ireland. The Aerospace entry relates to National Plastics Aerospace who upgraded the armour and fitted air con prior to the vehicles dispatch to Iraq. It served with the M2T BG (Mentoring, Monitoring & Training Battle Group) in Basra amongst others.

If you want and If you can email or PM me the report, I'll do my best to decipher the lot using the UINs.

Regards

Nige

thanks guys for helping out adds a few pieces to the puzzle.

i found a large weathered and faded map of Basra in the vehicle and also a small laminated route card of what i assume was Basra plus some A4 laminated inspection / warning sheets for the snatch's day to day operation so just trying to get as full a picture on the vehicle as i can.

On the rear is written BRS HQ so trying to work out its history there would be ideal as much as possible.

any other info or comments gladly accepted as i would like to try and understand as much as possible about its history.

NigeP you have mail lol