One for Artists Rifles

FV601 (R.I.P.)

Just finished watching a re run of Salvage Squad and the Stolly restoration they did when I got to thinking.

I seem to remember they also did a restoration on an Amphicar in a later series and on that particular programme they had to have the vehicle pass a more stringent form of test to enable it to be licensed for using on water.

I also seem to recall that in the case of DUKW's they too have to be licensed for both mediums, land or sea. I am sure I have read something to confirm this in recent copies of either Windscreen or CMV.

Now that being the case, does the Stolly come under the same criteria? Or is it exempt in some form as it was originally manufactured for the Military?

Any takers on this one?

Just finished watching a re run of Salvage Squad and the Stolly restoration they did when I got to thinking.

I seem to remember they also did a restoration on an Amphicar in a later series and on that particular programme they had to have the vehicle pass a more stringent form of test to enable it to be licensed for using on water.

I also seem to recall that in the case of DUKW's they too have to be licensed for both mediums, land or sea. I am sure I have read something to confirm this in recent copies of either Windscreen or CMV.

Now that being the case, does the Stolly come under the same criteria? Or is it exempt in some form as it was originally manufactured for the Military?

Any takers on this one?

John - I think you are referring to the Inland Waterways people, they look after the rivers and canals and any vessel - wheeled or not - using their waterways needs to conform to their rules and regulations.

For the Stalwart this will mean having suitable marine insurance and no major external oil leaks - mine would fail right now due to the leak from the N/S rear wheel hub. The big points on the Amphicar restoration of the fuel tank and hose types would have been covered by Alvis when they were built.

Would also need suitable and adequate marine equipment such as life jackets for the crew, red/green running lights if used after dark etc. With all that a Stalwart owner can apply for registration for use of the inland waterways and would be allocated a registration number to be visibly displayed when in use.

That is my understanding of how it works/would apply to Stalwarts. As ever if some one knows I've got it base over apex feel free to correct me!!!!

The big points on the Amphicar restoration of the fuel tank and hose types would have been covered by Alvis when they were built.

I'd have thought they were being constructed at the same time Neil, so perhaps Alvis have not covered all the bases so to speak.

Would also need suitable and adequate marine equipment such as life jackets for the crew,

I would think such things would be a neccessary peice of equipment rather than just a requirement to meet regulations Neil especially given the Stollys sinking frequency. I dont think you would find me in the cab of one without a lifejacket if it was swimming.

Perhaps you could ask the question on the Stolly forum Neil, I am sure someone there might know better.

Remember the Amphicars were made in Germany John - & built down to a budget.

The Alvis - seemingly - was built to a specification and to hell with the budget.

On Salvage Squad - when the restorers were getting theirs ready for water trials the I.W inspector knocked them back on, IIRC, the fuel hose quality amongst other bits. Similar hoses on any similar class of MV will exceed the I.W. specifications for obvious reasons.

As regards life saving kit - life jackets were part of the CES for a Stalwart - but I haven't seen any ex-MOD ones for sale in ages. Number carried varied between 2 and 6 depnedent on the model. Again, IIRC - the I.W. bod also required a life buoy etc.

I'll put the question to the Stalwart Forum for you - but remember we now have the guru of the world of Stalwarts here on the forum with us now.

And if you want a good laugh - ask Richard N. via PM about his experiences with the Salvage Squad crew............