San Francisco's Wartime past

RattlesnakeBob

I’ve just got back from a trip to see my daughter in California and whilst there took the opportunity to investigate the San Francisco Bay area’s wartime past a little. Yes of course I did all the normal everyday usual tourist stuff such as Alcatraz etc but should you ever end up in that district there is a surprising amount of WW2 related things to visit ! J

First on the list to do was visit the USS Hornet which is permanently moored up in the former US Navy base at Alameda just down the road a bit from where she lives. If you should find yourself i the area one day please make time for a visit. It is now staffed by volunteers and I was exceptionally lucky to have a lovely old fella show me around. He’d served on a sister ship to the Hornet back in the early 1960s for his military service and was an absolute font of knowledge and happy to answer all my inquisitive (and probably daft) questions! You really need to allow a whole day though because she is huge!

IMG_1378.jpg

IMG_1379.jpg

IMG_1388.jpg

IMG_1365.jpg

Later in the week I also visited the Museum of the Home Front in Richmond Docks more commonly known as ‘Rosie the Riveters Museum’ located in the old Richmond Shipyards and this place was amazing. Part of the works was a Ford factory that was turned over to tank production for the duration and thousands of Sherman and Stuarts/Honeys were produced but...probably the really important work went on in the 4 shipyards outside. Here, they perfected the technique of building the British designed Liberty Ships to the extent that over a 1000 were launched from here during the war years. They also made many other vessels such as landing craft, tugs and the bigger and improved version of the Liberty known as the ’Victory’ ship. Again a visit is highly recommended!

Ooops ! Sorry ! I can’t find those pictures :(

Next on the list was the USS Pampanito a WW2 Submarine preserved on Fishermans Wharf over the other side of the bay in San Francisco..far too much too tell of her but again .....go visit !

IMG_1659.jpg

Then there was the old Battery Chamberlin just behind Baker beach right next to the Golden Gate Bridge with a cracking old ‘disappearing gun’ still in place...

IMG_1570.jpg

IMG_1567.jpg

On the way around San Francisco one day I spotted 2 DUKWs loading up tourists for a trip.

IMG_1663.jpg

And lastly perhaps the star of the show ...one of only 2 left in the world .a real living breathing Liberty Ship the Jeremiah O’Brien !........what an absolutely fantastic experience and one , as I keep saying ....you should all try and do at least once ! J

IMG_1662.jpg

PS: Sorry....... I don't have a clue as to why some of the links are coming out as 'links' rather than 'pictures'...If you click the second link in each line it seems to work and show you the relevant picture otherwise it says 'no photo exists' for some reason :) ah well........i never said I was any good at driving computers .....driving excavators and dozers was far more my thing :) alternatively ....just follow the links to my Photobucket page and click 'view library' :)

Edited by RattlesnakeBob

The flight deck is something else isn't it mate?? :)

that one picture of the deck is taken from not even halfway to the front of the ship ....it's really difficult to take photos that convey how big it actually is :)

During the war she was a normal configuration 'straight' deck carrier but she had a pretty extensive rebuild in the 1950s when they removed most of the WW2 armaments and generally modernised her in many ways including the adding on of an 'angled' deck . ..When you wander about on the deck immediately below the flight deck , on the side that the 'angled bit' sticks out from the engineering that was needed to 'stick that extra bit on the side ' is revealed and it is truly incredible :) it's just like standing under a huge steel railway bridge :)

I'd never seen a WW2 era carrier up close and they are impressive so lord knows what one of the modern US 'Nimitz' class carriers looks like :) to give you an idea....

USS Hornet carried about 3300 including aircrew,was roughly 870' long and weighed about 36,000 tons loaded up for action ....a Nimitz class carrier has about 5500 including aircrew,is over a 1000' long,over 100' wider overall and weighs over 100,000 tons :shocked:

....a Nimitz class carrier has about 5500 including aircrew,is over a 1000' long,over 100' wider overall and weighs over 100,000 tons :shocked:

The Queen Elizabeth class carriers are 920 feet long, 230 feet wide and displace 70,600 tonnes ... :-)

Most people don't realise they are built that big as a simple result of Newtonian mechanics. Assuming conventional take-off, the aircraft has to reach a certain take-off speed and there is a maximum force you can impart to the airframe before it breaks. That determines the length of the flight deck and everything else follows.

Andy

Edited by andym

The Queen Elizabeth class carriers are 920 feet long, 230 feet wide and displace 70,600 tonnes ... :-)

Most people don't realise they are built that big as a simple result of Newtonian mechanics. Assuming conventional take-off, the aircraft has to reach a certain take-off speed and there is a maximum force you can impart to the airframe before it breaks. That determines the length of the flight deck and everything else follows.

Andy

and I'll admit it !....I didn't know nor guess nor have a single clue that is why modern carriers are so big ! :) tsk! obvious really I guess ! :red::red::red: .

PS: .....having just wikied them...oooooooooeeeeeeeer!!! they're being built by BAE!!! ....ooohh cripes!!!...dare one ask ?.

will they float ?

Edited by RattlesnakeBob