Unusual Trailer 'T' Plate

Ian L

Found this unusual 'T' plate at Beaulieu Auto Jumble today, the reflectors are blanked off on the rear & its much thicker/heavier metal than the others I've found plus its got a white edging, is it a different maker of a later type ? might sell so PM me if your interested ?

001.JPG

002.JPG

003.JPG

Hi Ian,

I've been told in the past that these T-plates with the pronounced "Rowntree's Pastilles" type lenses are actually earlier than the DESMO type we normally find on WWII trailers...but that is only an opinion.

As the regs regarding T-plates only came into place in 1937, I suppose it is likely that more than the Birmingham firm made them.

Nice find. Aren't you going to keep it for one of the bowser fleet?

Edited by cordenj

Hi Ian,

I've been told in the past that these T-plates with the pronounced "Rowntree's Pastilles" type lenses are actually earlier than the DESMO type we normally find on WWII trailers...but that is only an opinion.

As the regs regarding T-plates only came into place in 1937, I suppose it is likely that more than the Birmingham firm made them.

Nice find. Aren't you going to keep it for one of the bowser fleet?

Hi John that's interesting about the plate as I thought it might be much later ? if its 37ish then it might be better on the bowser and sell one of the others ? taking of 'bowser fleet' do you know anyone that might like a 20cwt bowser ? I have 2 to sell which are good starter projects ;)

Hi John that's interesting about the plate as I thought it might be much later ? if its 37ish then it might be better on the bowser and sell one of the others ? taking of 'bowser fleet' do you know anyone that might like a 20cwt bowser ? I have 2 to sell which are good starter projects ;)

hi, I would be interested in one. I'm happy to take on a restoration project. How much would you be looking for it? Doug

hi, I would be interested in one. I'm happy to take on a restoration project. How much would you be looking for it? Doug

Hi Doug PM me your phone number & we'll have a chat mate, the 2 that I'm selling are the best ones I found but they came along too late, I also have quite a few spare parts to help the restoration along.