RB44 Steering problems

redneck

I thought I'd re-post my fun and games with the steering here for future reference, just in case someone has similar problems.

From my earlier wanted ad-

"Just an update on the steering woes.

I came to the conclusion my problems lay with the steering box after numerous threads on tinterweb confirming my symptoms, steering goes stiff when turning right after about 5-6 miles of driving.

After a less than overwhelming response to my wanted ad and those that did reply seemed "very very proud" of their 2nd hand steering boxes, probably in the same condition as mine, never mind it is a free market after all.

I decided to investigate further and stripped the steering box down, on inspection of the internals most of it seemed in reasonable condition apart from the main piston bore, so a quick hone, just to take the polish off that was apparent in a couple of spots. After refitting the box the symptoms remained :-(

Next stop steering pump, removed and stripped the pump. there seemed quite a bit of wear in the pump with some scoring of the the impeller and the mating cheek plates, again a quick hone and rebuild, ordered a new pump from ebay in the meantime, and time for another test drive. Symptoms are still present but much less so.

So I'm currently waiting the new pump which I hope should cure the problem.

Please note that this is a low mileage vehicle first registered by me so straight from MOD. But once again the maintenance schedule seems to have been completely ignored, despite the power steering oil being changed recently by me there was still a lot of metal particles surrounding the pump thankfully most of it stuck to the magnet in the pump and the old oil was burnt out."

After fitting the new pump the problems reappeared but worse:banghead:

After a quick reassessment (cup of tea), I came to the conclusion that my original diagnosis was incorrect. I thought the steering was getting more difficult due to heat expanding the pump and producing less pressure.

I was right about the heat being a cause but it wasn't the pump that was the problem, it was the feed pipe from the reservoir to the pump collapsing under the suction, the new pump being in better condition provided more suction, hence the steering got worse. Before you all say I should of checked the basics first, I did, but the hose had delaminated internally there were no visible indications.

Finally I've got the steering doing what it should do for more than a few miles:clap:

I have been operating vehicles with power steering for 40 years now and never seen or heard of the problem that you have had. Well done for working it out !

David

Im a hydraulics engineer and see this sort of thing all the time on older machines.

Usually find by pinching the hose along its length until you find a soft/weak spot and thats it!

Might have been a contributing cause to the wear in your pump too, oil starvation!

Very common on brake lines too, not very often checked and when getting a brake imbalance normally the caliper or slides that are blamed!

If you do change a brake caliper or cylinders, check hoses too for external cracking, damage, corrosion of the end fittings, and collapse.

If any of the above or just caution, change as a matter of course, worth it for an extra few quid!!

Any help let me know and see what I can do.

I've been playing with vehicles for 25+ years, I've changed engines gear boxes, axles you name it but I have never had to even change the oil let alone do any work on any power stereing system..

I have had collapsing hoses on the odd occasion on fuel and hydraulics systems though.