Wing Commander Ken Wallis RIP

Desert Rat

My father in law served with him on 103 Sqn in 1941 (as a lowly LAC erk mind and not quite on first name terms!)

For my part I greatly admired Ken Wallis for his refusal to give up flying. At 97 I think he must have been the UK's if not the World's oldest pilot and one who didn't just take the controls for a while when flying with someone else either!

Ken Wallis was from a generation of do'ers and not moaners!

Saw him at RAF Waddington air show a few years back. was a little overwhelmed and found myself unable to pick up the courage to speak to him and wimped out and got the wife to ask for his autograph which I still have. Wished I had the courage to talk to him, he seemed very amenable .

Strangely enough I have just returned from holiday in Lagos , Portugal. They were running Autogyro pleasure flights every day skimming the waves and I explained to the Missus all about Wallis, Little Nellie ,James Bond and how he invented the ingenious little flying machine. Farewell to a great man, A true Briton. RIP Wing Commander Wallis.