Seized b80

Aussie

Question

Well, I'm actually hoping it's not. Disconnected gearbox and removed plugs, and next will see if I can turn it by hand (after I hook up the engine lifter again to make it more secure on its trolley). Somethings stuck so is it worth pouring something (I guess oil, rather than WD-40 or Penetrene?) into the chambers through the plug holes, then leave for a while? If so, do I squirt in a little or just "fill em up"?

If I can't turn it I'll try disconnecting the FFW next in case that's the culprit. Thanks, James.

6 answers to this question

HI JAMES

Over the years this problem reappears and lots of things have been tried my favorite is amongst others is diesel

and parafin mixed 50/50 and left for a number of days to stand we found on the B range engines that had been stood for along periods that the exhaust valves also sometimes stick also the generator can go stiff so loosen the belts just in case

in the case of the two speed one l am sure others on here will also come up with ideas to help you so good luck

Diesel and parraffin and leave for a couple of weeks and try moving it. Two speed genny if its oil fed and it has an oil filler plug a good dose of oil in it to prime it before you try and rotate the engine.

Another method is to try and pipe hot water through the block

It still might be a head off jobby as it may have rust on the bores or in a worst case scenario it could be cold seized

I had this problem with my Champ that had been stood 30 odd years and in the end after bending a starting handle I took the head off poured a drop of diesel down the bores left it a week then put a socket with a breaker bar on the crank nut and it turned over no probs, I took the head off to check the bores were ok and it gave me the chance to lap the valves in to make sure all was ok when the engine was started.

Good luck RR.

Thanks so much guys. Several good leads to follow, will let you know how it goes. I know in my heart of hearts that the head should come off but am putting this off since it looks like another steep learning curve. My main concern is putting it back together again - are all the gaskets, piston rings, (pistons?), big end bearings, etc, readily available?