Petrol tank repair

Aussie

Question

Cleaned a Saladin petrol tank (LHR) and discovered half a dozen pin holes (under the hydraulic oil tank so I guess rusted from outside in, rather than the reverse). I have a POR-15 kit to clean, derust and reseal the inside, and the kit includes a patch for holes but I'm a bit wary of relying on that. So, my plan was to fill the holes with solder then perhaps solder a plate over the area. The affected area is around 3" across.

However while someone told me to use silver solder, a plumber told me today that silver solder isn't for steel and that I should use normal solder. What should I use?

Or, would it be better to MIG weld a patch on? And if I go with welding, could I also plug the pin holes with that, or would I just blow bigger holes in the tank? (You can see I'm not an expert with either welding or soldering!)

Whatever I do, I'll put the POR-15 patch on top of it.

Thanks, James.

4 answers to this question

Hi James,

you can use silver solder on steel, for more info, check this out ;

http://www.cupalloys.co.uk/best_practice/[/QUOT

Silver solder is ok on steel and other metals, even dissimilar ones.

I have used it even on hydraulic fittings, good pressure ratings.

Secret is cleanliness, clean and flux the area well!

Don't mig it as it will open a can of worms, steel will be a lot thinner inside and you WILL blow holes in it.

No professional tank repairer near you, even just to advise? I have a good one here that does tank and radiator/cooler repairs, a lot do both!

Where in Vic are you? My brother in law is a hydraulics engineer there, lives in Geelong area, he will know the local repairers and can reccomend!

Edited by Hoseman

Agreed, don't try to MIG it unless you're hot-hot-hot on your welding; IE coded. Tanks of any kind are jobs for pros as the welding has to be flawless, especially if it has to pass a ministry inspection. As a professional welding engineer of nearly 17 years I still wince when someone asks me to repair a tank... even then I tackle it with gas, never a MIG plant.

Can't honestly say much about the suitability of silver solder on a tank but yes, it does adhere to Steel just fine.

Hoseman's point about cleanliness is the key. It's all in the prep.

Good luck with the repair!

Thanks so much for your replies guys. MIG is out, and having looked at the (great) web site suggested by Richard, I've decided that I should practise on something a bit less important than a petrol tank, rather than thinking "how hard could it be?". Needs to be a safe job so have handed it on to a tank repairer to solder and test for me. Your replies have most likely averted a disaster! James