British Trailers

ColinR

Colin,

British wartime light trailers, such as airborne type, had one single tail lamp with a lens of approx 3/4" diameter, fitted to offside rear, also a convoy light affixed under the body shining on a white plate fixed to the axle. There will be a switch located near to the rear lamp for switching from tail to convoy and vice versa. Also there may be fitted, a socket on the rear of the trailer adjacent to the towing hook for a second trailers light connection for when towing in tandem.

Richard

Cheers richard for the info, this is an awful cheek but would you have any pics of the type of kit I should be looking for? the trailer we have is a repro mortar(?) type and has no electrical kit fitted at all.

Colin,

Sorry, I cannot find the parts book, but it is the standard tail light used on most British vehicles during the war, cylindrical body, about 1" diam. with red lens, this is fitted on the offside rear corner of the trailer. There is a Lucas changeover switch, which I think, was mounted on the rear cross member, you do see new ones on the stalls at shows, they are black plastic, round, about 2.5" diam, with a lever out of the side, they switch from tail to convoy. The convoy lamp is again the standard item, mounted under the body shining on to a white plate clamped to the axle.

Richard