Re-engining a BRDM2

Any ideas?

My first option was a Cummins 6bt but it appears it is probably too long. Approximately 200HP. 14" longer than the stock engine.

Second option was a Cummins 4bt. Approximately 145 HP and 420 ft-lbs of torque. 4" longer than the stock engine.

Third option was to put a 366 big block in it-same size and it will bolt up with only minor modifications.

Last was to leave it as is.

With the first two I'm trying to go with an automatic transmission. Second two I'd just leave the trans since they would work fine since the transmission is a chevy copy.

Your thoughts?

Any ideas?

My first option was a Cummins 6bt but it appears it is probably too long. Approximately 200HP. 14" longer than the stock engine.

Second option was a Cummins 4bt. Approximately 145 HP and 420 ft-lbs of torque. 4" longer than the stock engine.

Third option was to put a 366 big block in it-same size and it will bolt up with only minor modifications.

Last was to leave it as is.

With the first two I'm trying to go with an automatic transmission. Second two I'd just leave the trans since they would work fine since the transmission is a chevy copy.

Your thoughts?

With the first two, I see a lot of work & money being laid out not to mention a fair amount of engineering to get everything to fit & work correctly*. Unless you happen to already have the diesel engines & transmissions already on hand, I think I'd save this as a last resort. The BRDM-2 is petrol & not diesel correct?

The big block V8 seems to be the easist to "drop in" and if you were going to do an engine swap, that'd get my vote. I assume you are considering this powerplant swap as a means to aliviate the difficulty in sourcing spares? If the original GAZ engine in there is running fine, I'd leave it alone until something dire happens & then swap it out with something else.

Matt

* May be a good idea to find someone who has already undertaken this task and pick their brains for info.

Whats up with original v8 lump?

Are they simalar to the v8's in the gaz66, as they work ok in the 66, might not be great, but they only rev to about 3 grand in the 66. I am one for keeping things standard tho, my uaz still runs mech lift pump and old school dizzy.

very slow with the gaz engine and under-powered but to be fair they work well enough. I would certainly leave it alone if it is working but replacing the engine is mostly a bolt and spanner excercise, there are no tricky bits to consider only the issue of too much torque, the BRDM axles are not the strongest and too much torque could be a bit painful for the old girls...so dont go for mega power or torque. 200 bhp is a big power and torque increase, I would say with anything above 175 and your going to feel a lot more perky... and hopefully not troubled with excess torque, the old perkins diesels used to rev quiet hard...especially some of the smaller V6/\V8 engines...not that i know a lot about them, I plan to fit one into my stalwart..

The v8 in it right now has a bad head gasket. I want to change engines for better mpg, more power, and more ease of finding parts! For now I will try to fix the gaz41 to get the vehicle running.

I have a few contacts, may be able to help...

I have thought about this too with my BRDM. Even considered doing an LPG conversion.

However, I would say the original V8 will be fine. One of my freinds who used to serve with these in the Polish army and I played around with settings on the carb a bit and mangaed to increase the average MPG. Before we did that my mpg was around 7.5 mpg when I commuted to work (a 24 mile round trip); afterwards I'm getting 11.5 mpg. Also the engine is not so sluggish when it gets up some speed as I get between 45mph and 73mph when I'm cruising on the motorway (hill dependant). It also just helps to drive the vehicle around on a regular basis (took about 2 years after it coming out of stores before it ran propperly).