Champ fuel consumption

cossy1

15 to 18 mpg

Hi John

Thanks for the info went to my first long trip in the champ this weekend with a trailer (Smallwood) aprox 100 miles. Got 15 to the gallon. Didn't won't to start looking at the charb, points ect if 15 reasonable.

Regards Tony

Hi John

Thanks for the info went to my first long trip in the champ this weekend with a trailer (Smallwood) aprox 100 miles. Got 15 to the gallon. Didn't won't to start looking at the charb, points ect if 15 reasonable.

Regards Tony

Were there many there at Smallwood? Nearly went myself with the CET but too busy doing restoration work.

Were there many there at Smallwood? Nearly went myself with the CET but too busy doing restoration work.

Yes it was a good turn out with a good selection of Mv. The only thing missing was tracks . The weather was great, which brings the public out and the show has something for ever one. Looking forward to the nation show now the champ is going on a trailer for that one.

Regards Tony

Hi John

Regards Tony

15 mpg isn't bad

Yes it was a good turn out with a good selection of Mv. The only thing missing was tracks . The weather was great, which brings the public out and the show has something for ever one. Looking forward to the nation show now the champ is going on a trailer for that one.

Regards Tony

By the national show do you mean wicksteed ? If so I will be there with CET and I know there are definately some more tracked vehicles coming.

John.

I'm ostensibly a Willys man, but back in the day when they changed hands for just a few quid ( I actually paid £5 for my first MB back in 1964 !) me and my mates would run Champs when we found ourselves 'between jeeps' as it were.

I remember driving down to Chippenham, Wiltshire from Birmingham where I lived in those days and decided to try and achieve the magic 20 mpg. This was because a short time earlier we'd done a similar 'economy run experiment' in an MB,

on which we managed to achieve a remarkable 28 mpg.

Well, I did get 20 mpg from my Champ, dead on, covering 100 miles on exactly 5 gallon of fuel. There was a few err...'cheats' needed to get it though, like driving like I was in carpet slippers rather than boots, not braking unless absolutely neccessary, and cruising in nuetral on any downhill section !

When you think about it, it was all fairly unimportant anyway 'cos one pound (£1) would buy more than 4 gallons back then. Happy days !

By the national show do you mean wicksteed ? If so I will be there with CET and I know there are definately some more tracked vehicles coming.

John.

See you at wicksteed look forward to seeing the CET.

Regards Tony

I'm ostensibly a Willys man, but back in the day when they changed hands for just a few quid ( I actually paid £5 for my first MB back in 1964 !) me and my mates would run Champs when we found ourselves 'between jeeps' as it were.

I remember driving down to Chippenham, Wiltshire from Birmingham where I lived in those days and decided to try and achieve the magic 20 mpg. This was because a short time earlier we'd done a similar 'economy run experiment' in an MB,

on which we managed to achieve a remarkable 28 mpg.

Well, I did get 20 mpg from my Champ, dead on, covering 100 miles on exactly 5 gallon of fuel. There was a few err...'cheats' needed to get it though, like driving like I was in carpet slippers rather than boots, not braking unless absolutely neccessary, and cruising in nuetral on any downhill section !

When you think about it, it was all fairly unimportant anyway 'cos one pound (£1) would buy more than 4 gallons back then. Happy days !

Thanks for the reply , 15 with a trailer I am happy with , should get 18 ish without the trailer, down hill with a wind behind and all that.

Regards Tony