Bofors brakes

Locolines

Question

20 answers to this question

There's two points here.

Adrian is right about the generic similarity as to the original setup, but there are a pile of little wrinkles about using them on UK roads today, if that is where you are heading.

First you have the trailer regs about weight, braking on each wheel, etc, then you have the limitations about using electric brakes in the UK now. As examples, they must work automatically ( adjustment from the drivers position isn't allowed ) and they must have a power source on board the 'trailer' that can bring it to a halt automatically if it disconnects at the wrong time, and when that power runs down it shouldn't be able to roll away again. Basically you need a small battery and an automatic controller on your 'trailer' and some provision for an effective handbrake. Absolute 'compliance' might be really tricky, but if you could demonstrate that you had an effective automatic system that was really, really close to the requirements you might get cut some slack if you get a roadside assessment. Emergency stop from 50mph behind a GMC might be - interesting.

I believe all the technicalities can all be overcome, but it is tricky. Best plan would be to get an understanding of exactly how the originals worked, then to google 'electric brakes uk' or the like and look for fora where people like the Airstream caravan groups have already tackled this for similar systems.

Edited by Gordon_M

What nationality is the Gun and is it Wartime or Postwar ?.................Big difference !

Rob...............rnixartillery.

Very good point! Not sure a chap on the end of a rope in the back of the truck will cut it these days! :-)

Are you still allowed to use the vacuum system?

Edited by James Shopland

Are you still allowed to use the vacuum system?

I'd think you'd have a lot less problems with modern compliance on a vacuum system. If the vacuum fails or the 'trailer' disconnects for whatever reason, brakes come on and stay on - job done. Only wrinkle there would be if ALL the wheels aren't braked.

Worth noting that there are a load of exemptions for old trucks, but very few for old trailers. Only trailer legacy compliance points I could come up with is that the original trailer lighting systems are bound to be compliant if they are exactly the same as when they left the factory and were first used. Of course you'd need a serial number on the trailer or plate to establish the date of first use ...

I have the workshop manual (ordnance maintenance) on the US model but electric brakes tend to be the same regardless. I can copy you the relevant sections.

That would be great if you could thank you

Edited by Locolines

Swedish Bofors,ex-Portuguese stock.This Model is said to be the best Bofors built............a very highly engineered Gun and each componant has matching numbers.

You are a lucky chap ! I have one in my collection,if you need accessories let me know.

ps, Hydraulic brakes not electric operated .

Edited by rnixartillery

Swedish Bofors,ex-Portuguese stock.This Model is said to be the best Bofors built............a very highly engineered Gun and each componant has matching numbers.

You are a lucky chap ! I have one in my collection,if you need accessories let me know.

Wow you obviously know your stuff ! As soon as we get it home I will have a good look and post some more pictures.

thanks for your offer too.

I should think it was built in 1938 , this was the Model the yanks originaly copied,I am in the process of acquiring the yank equivalent built be Firestone.

If you need tyres you will have to go to Lambrook or some other vintage tyre co,I had to import mine from the states.....Not cheap but well worth fitting new tyres.

It is gun no.17 by the way. So will it look out of place behind my GMC do you think..?

Not at all, infact they look and tow extremely well behind a SWB Jimmy. Braking is not an issue either,the Gun brake was operated by one of the guns crew sat in the back of the truck with his legs dangling out pulling on a rope when required.

The rope through a pully system operates the plunger in the brake master cylinder which in turn applies the brakes in the rear axle.

The gun I am in the process of buying is virtualy the same but built in the states by Firestone and has all the usual yank parts added, Lights,reflectors etc.

Rob..............rnixartillery.

Edited by rnixartillery

I'd think you'd have a lot less problems with modern compliance on a vacuum system. If the vacuum fails or the 'trailer' disconnects for whatever reason, brakes come on and stay on - job done. Only wrinkle there would be if ALL the wheels aren't braked.

Worth noting that there are a load of exemptions for old trucks, but very few for old trailers. Only trailer legacy compliance points I could come up with is that the original trailer lighting systems are bound to be compliant if they are exactly the same as when they left the factory and were first used. Of course you'd need a serial number on the trailer or plate to establish the date of first use ...

Thanks Gordon. I thought trailers carried the same age related exemptions as trucks. :shocked:

ps, Hydraulic brakes not electric operated .

Rob, Did these Swedish guns have the 'black-box' reflected gun sight?

Correct,these Guns were built to a very high standard even the sights were advanced for the age.

When the Bofors was built under license by the British and Canadians the design was simplified drasticaly to save on production time and cost for mass production.

The Americans continued with the original design on 20" wheels,a much nicer Gun.

Rob....................rnixartillery.

Correct,these Guns were built to a very high standard even the sights were advanced for the age.

When the Bofors was built under license by the British and Canadians the design was simplified drasticaly to save on production time and cost for mass production.

The Americans continued with the original design on 20" wheels,a much nicer Gun.

Rob....................rnixartillery.

One day.....we hope :cheesy: