Gmc 353 grease on inside of tyres

Locolines

Hello, I am a newbie, so sorry if its a daft question., but I just got a GMC 353 dump truck, after an 80 round trip home, I noticed quite a lot of grease on the inside of both front tyres. Does this mean a seal has gone or would you think it's a case of over greasing .?

thank you

I know from years of driving landrovers that oil/grease on the inside of the front wheels usually means the front swivel seals have failed. Although as the vehicle is new to you there could be a chance they have been overfilled I suppose. Always check the cheapest solution first :D Someone on here will no doubt know more so stay positive :)

A photo would be more helpful... but here are some things to check:

Is it grease or oil? That will be the first indication of where to look next. If you're not sure then check the level of the differential oil (let the truck sit min. 30 minutes to ensure all the lube oil has run off the gears).

The steering knuckle grease level is checked depending on what type of axle you have:

Split: level plug is on the LOWER side of the steering knuckle - grease should be even with level plug.

Banjo: level plus is on the UPPER side of the steering knuckle - grease should be visible.

Its odd that you would rip up the felt seal on both knuckles at the same time. It sounds more like the vent plug may be clogged, and you shot oil past the seals. But if the truck sat for a while the seals could have dried out, then rapidly wear due to being brittle/dry. By design grease should seep out and keep the seals wet.

You may need a copy of TM9-1801 (there a quite a few digital copies available) to do a proper rebuild.

A photo would be more helpful... but here are some things to check:

Is it grease or oil? That will be the first indication of where to look next. If you're not sure then check the level of the differential oil (let the truck sit min. 30 minutes to ensure all the lube oil has run off the gears).

The steering knuckle grease level is checked depending on what type of axle you have:

Split: level plug is on the LOWER side of the steering knuckle - grease should be even with level plug.

Banjo: level plus is on the UPPER side of the steering knuckle - grease should be visible.

Its odd that you would rip up the felt seal on both knuckles at the same time. It sounds more like the vent plug may be clogged, and you shot oil past the seals. But if the truck sat for a while the seals could have dried out, then rapidly wear due to being brittle/dry. By design grease should seep out and keep the seals wet.

You may need a copy of TM9-1801 (there a quite a few digital copies available) to do a proper rebuild.

Thank you for your reply , it's defiantly thick heavy grease. It's the split axle type. Just hope it's a case of over greasing. I am looking forward to getting under there,but it 5 inches of snow outside so it can wait !

There really isn't a lot of grease in a split axle steering knuckle.... so it might have been over filled.

Plus grease really doesn't flow... typically the inner axle shaft seal fails and passes oil and that mixes with grease and seeps out.

The odd thing is that its both sides..