Problems with site security certificates

fv1609

Question

On my Android tablet I'm now getting problems visiting Milweb & ARRSE. A warning comes saying that the site security certificate does not come from a trusted source.

Up to a few weeks ago there was no problem & even now viewing those sites on my phone & the PC there is no problem. I can of course ignore those warnings on the Android, but my concern is if I visit a site for the first time & I get such a warning is it to be believed?

So does anyone else get warnings about those two sites & if not, is there some way I can reset the tablet to be more accurate?

7 answers to this question

Hi there, I have not had this problem with the sites you list but it does happen on my computer sometimes mostly ebay and preloved, because I trust these I just open them anyway but like you say I would be very wary opening an unknown site because as we all know theres alot of nasty stuff out there ! What I will say is that usually the sites affected go back to normal within a few days if that helps ? As to why though I have no idea. :undecided: Best Wishes, David

David it's been like this for 2 weeks now. On two visits travelling through France in hotels using wifi linked to Orange I found it immediately triggered a lot of spam that lasted for weeks. So if I'm warned it makes me wary.

Hello again Clive, that does seem a long time when mine plays up it lasts a day or so , you are right to be concerned perhaps your local computer man may help, I have anti virus by avast and it has always been good but trouble is as you know new ways to infect your computer appear daily. I hope you get sorted and if in doubt don't open any unsolicitied emails or sites until you are sure things are ok. Best Wishes David

What I think is happening is that your tablet is trying to set up a secure session with Milweb, and the milweb site certificate has been issued by an "untrusted" company.In this case it's www1.indira.com - this may be genuine, or it might mean that the site has been compromised.

Starting a secure session to milweb - https://www.milweb.com gets me an alert box about the "chain of trust" for the site, which might mean I just need to import the correct "root" certificate, or that they've screwed things up.

I'd suggest pointing the problem out to the site owner(s) and seeing what they have to say about it.

(I hope it's not part and parcel of the current Yahoo! script attack problem, or some other malicious intent.)

Chris.

I have spoken with Nigel Hay & he points out Milweb is not a secure site (ie https). Their payments are handled by a different server that is secure.

So as you say Chris my Android is trying to set up a secure link to a site that is not secure hence the message. It's odd that I only get on the Classified section & ARRSE.

Anyway I know now to ignore such warnings on the Android when it is trying to access a normal http site.