amal carb choke

exlandieman

Ha Ha. I spend a weekend in Devon riding on Dartmoor most years with other DR's. A couple of years ago, a young chap joined us on his freshly and nicely restored 16H. It was running awful! We kept adjusting the carb to no avail. It wasn't till Sunday that I noticed his air lever in the forward position. He was convinced that you choke the engine by pulling the lever towards you. After we convinced him he was wrong, it ran like a dream! I never seem to need to use the air lever on any of my bikes. Ron

The choke is "off" when the lever is fully clockwise, ie. has pulled the inner cable as far as it will go.

I made the same mistake when I first put my CO together, being used to horticultural machinery I assumed the choke was off when the lever was returned back to the stop, and wondered why the bike wouldn't run without choke!

Thanks for all the answers....i was right in that i thought it was down to restrict the air supply. and yes roof, i did initially think the same as you. Mind you if it just restricts the air supply, why is it such a complicated thing with a tube inside a slide?