all imformation on BSA's millitary spec G14 1000 Vtwin welcome

steelheart

hi guy's , im about to embark on a restoration project on a bsa g14 to military standard, i would like to add the side car and equipment , including spare wheel and arms

can anyone help with information specifications ect , i noticed that a member from holland has restored a dutch military version , i would really like to contact this member , (his name is jacques) for any help .

im very new to restoration , but i want to procede with integrity , so historic accuracy is important to me ..

in my profession i design and construct motorcycle chassis and componants at steelheart engineering, so this is a change and an exciting challenge as there is so much to learn ..

Lee

I've never seen any reference in British contracts to the use of G14 BSAs, nor have I seen any MEE test reports relating to them (They had enough problem with the 500s !)

The Dutch forces certainly took a variety of BSAs, pre-war. I'd suggest a post on the WM20 BSA forum. There is quite a strong Dutch presence there (to put it mildly).

I've never seen any reference in British contracts to the use of G14 BSAs, nor have I seen any MEE test reports relating to them (They had enough problem with the 500s !)

The Dutch forces certainly took a variety of BSAs, pre-war. I'd suggest a post on the WM20 BSA forum. There is quite a strong Dutch presence there (to put it mildly).

thanks for your reply, do you have any information regarding these models , AJS 35/2 1000 v twin , and royal enfield KX 1000 v twin , i need to rule out any procurement by by the MOD during WW11,

regarding the BSA , it seems that the dutch did have a great many of these models , quite few ended up in the hands of the germans , who ironically prompley put them into service , the more i dig the more fascinating im finding it ,

MOD is a post-war name. War Office procurement was via the Ministry of Supply. I've never seen references to big Ajays. The MoS did order a couple of RE KXs for use by ROF (Royal Ordnance Factory) but it's often difficult with these contracts to see if they were military vehicles, with WD serial or simply for use by government departments.

thanks again 79x100, it would have been an expensive procurement for MOS , one i thought to be unlikely , in your opinion would these RE kx's have kept the stock factory trim ? and thanks for correcting my ignorance on my last post , im now really starting to enjoy this learning curve , i can now pretty much rule out the use of the big AJS, in the british military , im begining to believe the rumour is a myth , i know that matchless bought into AJS in 1931, and matchless produced the X39 which was used in the british army , i have photos of this model fitted with a side car sporting a lewis machine gun, these bikes i believe used the same engine used for the KX , although there are some changes to the ancillary engine componants , again i stand to be corrected . ;0)

Lee

The National Motorcycle Museum in Birmingham (close to the M42 and NEC) has two "armed" motorcycles on display in the public section. I'm not sure what make they are, but one has a Vickers MMG and the other a Bren. (The Vickers version is not intended for use on the move, more for rapid deployment, as in Bairnsfather's sign: "Bruce Bairnsfather. Machine guns removed at shortest notice. Attacks quoted for.").

Hi Lee,

I know Jaques fairly well, he has finished his restoration of the G14, here a picture in 1939 in Dutch use of one:

Mobilization-Holland19391.jpg

Here one survivor in the Dutch Artillery museum:

20042012679.jpg

The one bike in the Nat. Motcycle Museum is an Big 4 Norton, the other is a first war one?

WP_000200.jpg

The 1939 Mod. X had a sidecar with a Boys Antitank rifle on it, and a Bren, maybe only a couple made, here a picture:

001_-_smaller.jpg

Better carry this over to the Motorcycle section??

Cheers,

Lex