Battery charging !

private mw

my hotchkiss jeep 24v x2 12v batteries charged up both seperately , fully charged but wont start car checked them again one is flat straight away again , think i might invest in 2 new ones 038 i think they are same as the old mini,s , i think one or both are suffering from battery corrosion slight white powder ! just googled this and it likes eating metal is this true :wow: i need to give terminals a good clean new batteries and some waterproof grease on terminals anything else i need to do and how can i prevent this happening again ! :undecided:

You can't really prevent it happening, batteries sometimes just die - but sometimes they seem to last for ever!

(Although not so often with modern batteries!)

It's a good idea to replace batteries in pairs when they are fitted in pairs.

Best thing to coat the terminals and connectors with is Vaseline (petroleum jelly) - used to get some funny looks when I went into the chemist for 'a large tub of vaseline, please' :cool2:

Just had another thought - car-type batteries don't like being left for long periods in a discharged state, so a trickle charger or one of those solar-panel chargers (if you've got access to sunlight) is a useful addition for MVs, which tend not to get regular use.

John

I've got from my local Toolstation a can of Tectane PW 697 Protective Wax. Shake and spray. Very useful for electrical, brake cylinder nipples and any other exposed threads. Also worth investing in a good Smart de-sulphating batrrey charger. Mine has brought back three or four battries, paid for itself easily.