What is this optic?

timbo

Question

Hi

Wondered if anybody has any ideas? I was sent the pics by a mate who was given it by his grandfather as a youngster. He was a scrappy and dealt with some war surplus but this is the only thing he parted with. Everything else was crushed.

Cheers

Tim

IMG_00000019.jpg

IMG_00000021.jpg

IMG_00000022.jpg

IMG_00000023.jpg

7 answers to this question

At first glance it appears to be the optics from a surveyor's level, but I'm still trying to match it exactly.

I can't quite make it out properly, but if it says T. Cooke & Sons on the side then it was made pre-1922.

Many thanks - yes it does say T Cooke. I was googling last night and discovered that the co was amalgamated in 1922 so that ties up. I have also found a few pics of naval scopes made by t cooke and they all appear to be bare metal rather than painted, so you may be right about the different purpose..

Cheers

Tim

The basic optics unit may be one used in a range of instruments with minor alterations, it's simply a case of spotting the right ones from this lot: https://dlib.york.ac.uk/yodl/app/collection/detail?id=york%3A796232&ref=detail ;)

Checking your first photo again, the screw holes for supporting a spirit level can be seen, confirming that it was intended to be used in a mainly horizontal position. It was intended to be able to used in low-light conditions, having a hole to illuminate the graticule and a white line at the objective end for quick alignment.

Sadly it doesn't exactly match anything in the 1907 T. Cooke & Sons catalogue, but much of their military optics range is omitted anyway.

As soon as I saw that I thought Mariners Telescope. i have one simelar bound in leather made early 1800`s as dated by Liverpool museum that i was given by a great uncle years ago.

Looks very simelar to pic apart from leather bound.

OR could be something else.....Thats my expert opinion...!!:nut:

Hi

Wondered if anybody has any ideas? I was sent the pics by a mate who was given it by his grandfather as a youngster. He was a scrappy and dealt with some war surplus but this is the only thing he parted with. Everything else was crushed.

Cheers

Tim

Hello Tim,

I collect Rangefinders, and yes, it does look to be the telescope from a depression rangefinder. I have the main base of a Cooke Troughton & Simms MK.V from 1943 that is missing it's telescope, but it's in storage some 175 miles from my home presently (i'm in the process of moving house), so I won't be able to confirm dimensions for the mounting rings for a while; but it looks to be exactly the right shade of green as mine (almost as green as the envy on my face!) :-) There ought to be engravings on the top that indicates the MK of Telescope, and a separate MK. of the Depression Rangefinder itself with-which it can be used. The exchangeable eyepiece should be marked with a HI or a LO power.

If your mate is selling, then please drop me a PM.

Best regards,

Paul