Simca marmon engine

Doozer

Looking into buying my first military vehicle - a simca marmon sumb. Can't afford to keep the flathead v8 as I intend to use it regularly (lpg conversion still to thirsty). I have found a diesel engine but to make it viable I need to be able to sell the ford flathead v8 to cover costs. Am trying to find out if there is a market for the engine and, if so, where to sell it. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers, Matt.

Matt

The V8 is popular with hot rod restorers in the USA as it is based on the engine originally fitted to their cars and fairly easily made to fit

Regards

Iain

(Who has a SUMB in the classified section for sale ..... )

A sumb already with diesel engine would be great. The one I'm looking at is ideal for what I need except for the engine. Have found the renault engine that got put into the diesel models to replace it, so I guess if anyone knows of a diesel sumb for sale then it might be alot easier.

It's a 3.8 litre turbo diesel renault engine that I have found to replace the flathead. However, having spent far too long looking at all the different vehicles available I am starting to wonder if finding a different vehicle which doesn't need much work might be a smarter option for my first mv. Especially as my mechanical knowledge needs some work!

It's a 3.8 litre turbo diesel renault engine that I have found to replace the flathead. However, having spent far too long looking at all the different vehicles available I am starting to wonder if finding a different vehicle which doesn't need much work might be a smarter option for my first mv. Especially as my mechanical knowledge needs some work!

Wha tRenault vehicle do you find that in?

Actually RR weren't the only one - I think a farmer in the welsh borders did some and I believe mine was imported in '98 by the gun bus company before they switched to Pinzgauers.

You would definitely need to replace the main gear box and engine as a unit if the change will be easy - in that case there is a shaft drive to the transfer box as the interface between new and old - the French Army conversion by Renault also replaced the dash board and reworked the braking system.

If replacing just the engine and gear box the main challenge will be to get an air supply for the air-over-oil braking system if the new engine doesn't have a compressor.

Iain

Ps. i remember exchanging mails with a chap who had done it - he used a ford transit engine and gearbox but I don't remember (or he never told me) what he did about the compressor and generator

Iain

The engine I found is from RR services with gearbox. As I am still trying to work out if I can balance the books to make it work I have yet to purchase any of it. The sumb I have been offered is good, but with having to buy a diesel engine and pay someone to switch them round, the price would be getting close to being simpler to buy either a diesel sumb or a different mv ready to go. I guess the problem is that I would be looking to use the vehicle for work and so has to be viable to drive 5/6 days a week.

Thank you for all the information and advice, I will get there in the end as am sold on the idea of swapping the double cab for a mv.

Matt

• 3 weeks later...
Looking into buying my first military vehicle - a simca marmon sumb. Can't afford to keep the flathead v8 as I intend to use it regularly (lpg conversion still to thirsty). I have found a diesel engine but to make it viable I need to be able to sell the ford flathead v8 to cover costs. Am trying to find out if there is a market for the engine and, if so, where to sell it. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers, Matt.

Hi Matt

If you would like to sell the engine, please let me know.

I could be interested.

Thanks Nigel

Hi,

I have a factory Diesel Marmon, Another change was to the floor and engine access in the cab. the cover for the diesel is about twice the size of the petrol I guess the Diesel is longer and taller.

there was also a rumor that the steering column was changed but I have never compared the two.

On the diesel the air pump is a stand alone unit bolted to the chassis driven by duel belts from the front crank pulley.

Hope that helps

Regards

Dave

Thank you for all of your advice, still not entirely sure what my final decision will be as I have just spent the last week being thrown around in the back of a 101 having a great time off road. I suddenly feel like the kid in the sweet shop who doesn't know where to begin or what to choose.

Matt

• 1 year later...

I thought I should revive this old thread because last week I went to look at a Dieselised SUMB a few miles from here - this one has been fitted with a Volvo 6 cylinder inline diesel engine and auto box with the drive shaft being adapted to the output of the auto box. I havent driven it yet but the owner's photo album suggests it does work well at least for low speeds off road. He did retain the original compressor and air-over-oil braking system but converted the electrics to 12V to suit the heaters and starter motor of the diesel.

Hope this helps anyone else contemplating reviving a SUMB with a new engine

Iain