1960 Pattern Smock Zip

Enfield1940

A friend of mine has just acquired a size 6 1960 Pattern smock which is tidy, but has a broken zip. It’s an early one with a ‘Swift’ brand zip.

Has anyone any clever ideas as to how this could be replaced? Can spare zips in the right length be had? E.g. Could a zip from a lower value 1968 Pattern smock be used?

All suggestions gratefully received.

Mark

icon1.png 1950s & 1960 Pattern Combat Trouser and Smock Zip Lengths

Mark......see below an older post of mine......

"To assist fellow enthusiasts, the old War Department / MoD specifications list the following
Zip
sizes for the 1950s and
pattern combat clothing.......this may assist if you need to seek a replacement !

Trousers - Sizes G1, G2, G3 = 8"

G4, G5, G6, 1, 2 and 3 = 9"

G7, G8, G9, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 and 9 = 10"

Zips are described as "
Fastener
, Slide, Green, 2-Way Puller, one end Auto-Locking, 5/8ths tape".....

Remember, some early 50s and late 60 pattern did not have the two-way
zip

Smock - Sizes G1, G2, G3 = 16"

G4, G5, G6, 1, 2 and 3 = 18"

G7, G8, G9, 4, 5 and 6 = 20"

7, 8 and 9 = 22"

Described as "Fasteners, Slide, Green, Heavy, Open-end, Auto-Locking".......

Early zips are often made by "Swift", "Flash", "Lightning", "Aero" or "DOT"........later zips can be the same but with the addition of "NZ" (Newey Zips), "Clix", etc...........the vast majority are blackened-brass on a emerald-green base tape (always cotton, never nylon) although variations can be found......."

So.......according the the manufacturing specifications, you need a 20" zip............I MAY have some (originals, 'though from memory they are either "Clix" or "NZ" but proper MoD smock zips in blackened-brass on cloth tape, not sure what lengths I've got).......I will have a look and get back to you......:-D (ps - a decent dry-cleaners or tailors should have an industrial machine able to sew-in a new zip...)

Edited by wdbikemad

Mark,

I have found a new-old-stock 20" zip........it is genuine ex-MoD, open-ended, very heavy-duty blackened brass, on the "classic" bottle-green cotton tape (which is longer than the 20"-long teeth to allow for tucking-over...).....the puller is blackened-brass and by "Clix".............this zip is for late-60s 60-pattern smocks and early DPM ones too..........it is the correct length for the size 6 smock..........you won't find anything closer in the commercial sewing shop world.....! This is the genuine article in MINT condition too........

I have also found a similar 22" variety for size 7 to 9 60-pattern smocks, NOS, made by "ZIPP"....again, ex-MoD stock.....

Also found some NOS heavy duty zips (ex-MoD) suitable for trousers...? (they can be shortened with a little work) around 13" long (some slightly shorter and longer), one-way opening (not double-ended), again blackened-brass on either a bottle or olive-green cotton tape...various makers, including "NZ" (Newey)........

PM me to discuss the subject further, also if anyone has any particular requirements......I might be able to assist :-D

Edited by wdbikemad

• 2 months later...

Are zipper problems typical of the 1960 Pattern smocks? I've seen quite a few photos (ebay primarily) where the zipper appears to be wavy (which according to my wife the resident textile expert indicates the manufacturer neglected to pre-shrink them). Wavy zippers would lead to all sorts of problems like premature wear and jamming.

Are zipper problems typical of the 1960 Pattern smocks? I've seen quite a few photos (ebay primarily) where the zipper appears to be wavy (which according to my wife the resident textile expert indicates the manufacturer neglected to pre-shrink them). Wavy zippers would lead to all sorts of problems like premature wear and jamming.

Zip issues appear fairly common with 60 pattern and 68 pattern smocks and trousers, particularly new-old-stock garments. Distortion apart, the original zips were all-brass that were chemically blackened, and they do not store particularly well over long periods of time in less-than-perfect conditions, dampness and corrosion being the primary problems.....

Mark,

I have found a new-old-stock 20" zip........it is genuine ex-MoD, open-ended, very heavy-duty blackened brass, on the "classic" bottle-green cotton tape (which is longer than the 20"-long teeth to allow for tucking-over...).....the puller is blackened-brass and by "Clix".............this zip is for late-60s 60-pattern smocks and early DPM ones too..........it is the correct length for the size 6 smock..........you won't find anything closer in the commercial sewing shop world.....! This is the genuine article in MINT condition too........

I have also found a similar 22" variety for size 7 to 9 60-pattern smocks, NOS, made by "ZIPP"....again, ex-MoD stock.....

Also found some NOS heavy duty zips (ex-MoD) suitable for trousers...? (they can be shortened with a little work) around 13" long (some slightly shorter and longer), one-way opening (not double-ended), again blackened-brass on either a bottle or olive-green cotton tape...various makers, including "NZ" (Newey)........

PM me to discuss the subject further, also if anyone has any particular requirements......I might be able to assist :-D

By chance would you still have that 22" zipper?

• 5 months later...

Mark, you flatter me ! I only supplied the damn zip !!!! Seriously though, if such efforts result in preserving this kit then I'm up for that...........

We still have a few 60 pattern "NZ" and "Clix" brand NOS smock zippers here, plus tons of trouser zips too.........not for sale as we haven't got a great deal of the former (smock) variety left..........BUT, will always try to help with genuine cases !!

PS - got buttons and cords too......:o)