Humber Pig oil seal tool FV252151

armouredfarmer

Having been asked by a friend to see if I could get one of these made I have a price for a batch of 10, they are not cheap coming in at £60, the one off price is £90, if I can get the quantity above 10 then the price may well come down a bit more.If anyone is interested could they please let me know.

PT

Having been asked by a friend to see if I could get one of these made I have a price for a batch of 10, they are not cheap coming in at £60, the one off price is £90, if I can get the quantity above 10 then the price may well come down a bit more.If anyone is interested could they please let me know.

PT

I would be buddy

Clive we mused over this today and I had just replied.

My copy of EMER N 253 WHEELED VEHICLES dated 1954 has been amended to state being filled with grease not oil.

I believe this is wrong and would ask your clarification to all us FV1600 series owners.

Thanks in advance

20130106_205441.jpg

Wayne that is correct.

We were talking yesterday about correctly administering oil in the Tracta housings not grease.

The hubs are to be packed with grease on assembly and topped up with oil. In accordance with Special Servicing Instruction No.7 which was an amendment in 1973 to the original Servicing Schedule that stated oil only.

Wayne that is correct.

We were talking yesterday about correctly administering oil in the Tracta housings not grease.

The hubs are to be packed with grease on assembly and topped up with oil. In accordance with Special Servicing Instruction No.7 which was an amendment in 1973 to the original Servicing Schedule that stated oil only.

Ahhhh. My mistake and perhaps I should have read more and not just clocked the image and then words Grease......

Thank you as always for clearing this matter up, as it would identify an EMER amendment that others may not be aware of...

Every day is indeed a school day :-)

• 1 year later...

PT

Did this move on at all, as really need one now.

New Tracta joint bellows waiting.

Ta

• 1 year later...

Did anyone get further on with this matter.

I am sorting my brakes out and will need to either create a hybrid like a friend did or get one made?

In that case anyone got the sizes. Sorry Clive I have misplaced those you gave me before. Grrrrrr

Cheers

ID - 6.6cm

OD -9.1cm

Thanks for sharing Clive. I can't be the only Pig owner needing that detail.

I wonder if you have those dims as the nearest metric equivalent. I remember the Duck tape too.

I was going to see from a structural engineer what the nearest tube sizes are.

However if you look in the EMER it suggests the tool is machined from a solid bar to make those sizes ?????

PS ANY IDEA ON LENGTH NEEDED..... Is 12" enough to do it???? Ta

Cheers

Edited by Rover8FFR

Thanks for sharing Clive. I can't be the only Pig owner needing that detail.

I wonder if you have those dims as the nearest metric equivalent. I remember the Duck tape too.

I was going to see from a structural engineer what the nearest tube sizes are.

However if you look in the EMER it suggests the tool is machined from a solid bar to make those sizes ?????

PS ANY IDEA ON LENGTH NEEDED..... Is 12" enough to do it???? Ta

Cheers

The length of the tool is 6.5 inches. It may well have been I who gave Clive the dimensions way back about 20 years ago, I know I gave the drawing to a Pig owner. Outside of the sleeve should be polished so as not to damage the seal in the hub.

Wayne, you will not be able to use normal tube stock as the differential between OD and ID is too great, hence turning it out of round bar.

Edited by Richard Farrant

ID - 6.6cm

OD -9.1cm

It was simply what I measured that was needed, hence the measuring to only one decimal point.

A bodge one is made up of:

ID - 2 5/8 in

OD - 3 in

Two layers of tape uniformly wound then fitted into

ID - 80mm

OD - 90mm

Then two more layers of tape (that tend to get graunched)

Yes very horrible I know but it was an off the shelf tool that served me well until I got three engineered ones made up.

Richard that probably is right, because mine was made a bit longer than it need be.

Funnily enough I had a long chat with RA last weekend after a space of many years. He does rather miss the green scene.

The length of the tool is 6.5 inches. It may well have been I who gave Clive the dimensions way back about 20 years ago, I know I gave the drawing to a Pig owner. Outside of the sleeve should be polished so as not to damage the seal in the hub.

Wayne, you will not be able to use normal tube stock as the differential between OD and ID is too great, hence turning it out of round bar.

Thanks Richard

• 2 weeks later...

I may be able to get some made cheaply out of solid bar by a 'Friendly' engineer / machinist / fabricator to the correct size and length. Still looking into it and firming final details on cost.

Seems reasonable at the minute, but have asked for a sample to be made first!

He will polish the outer face, which the seal slips over, so it will be as close to original as possible, even though I have not seen an image of an original :undecided:

I have enquired about having a few made and wondered who on the forum would be interested in acquiring one.

Clive - Any ideas of the MLUF would benefit from a post about this?

Thanks in advance

Wayne