Bluebird K3

andym

and another clip here:

http://www.itv.com/news/meridian/2012-10-15/bluebird-flies-again/

Shame about the propshaft, as it completed a few runs at Bewl in June ....but with no publicity then as that was its first time under power in the water since renovation.

3 photos from June runs:

IMG_0883 (Medium).JPG

The meteor sounds great and is connected to the prop via dog-clutch. So as soon as engine starts ... off she goes.

Even with a slower pitched prop the speed at only 1500rpm is surprising.

I was there on Monday manning one of the safety boats. Expect more trials once a more substantial prop is built.

IMG_0890 (Medium).JPG

IMG_0869 (Medium).JPG

So have they swapped from the original Rolls Royce 'R' type engine to a Meteor? That's one hell of a power drop.......

I don't think their 'R' is in running condition, or ever likely to be. Mind you, I had to find that out by Googling as their website is uninformative to say the least. I'm also not convinced about some of their technical information - a propeller speed of 9500 rpm? At that speed it would just cavitate itself to pieces. I think they mean a 3:1 gear down from crankshaft speed, not gear up!

Andy

I don't think their 'R' is in running condition, or ever likely to be. Mind you, I had to find that out by Googling as their website is uninformative to say the least. I'm also not convinced about some of their technical information - a propeller speed of 9500 rpm? At that speed it would just cavitate itself to pieces. I think they mean a 3:1 gear down from crankshaft speed, not gear up!

Andy

Nominal governed speed for a meteor is 2,550 rpm. That's a ratio of 1:3.725 to achieve 9,500 rpm, unless they've played with the govenor (or removed it completely). A reduction by 3 would give a propeller speed of 850, so by playing with the govenor it should give 900 - 950 rpm. Would that be a more suitable speed for a propeller?

Wouldn't a Griffon engine be a better choice? Same displacement as an 'R', roughly the same power......

Edited by Caddy
Can't spell for toffee

That's quite an increase in revs, I don't think a Merlin revs that high (I think 3,000rpm was the figure I was told by a merlin engineer). I wonder how much they've played with it to get the induction system to breathe properly.

That's quite an increase in revs, I don't think a Merlin revs that high (I think 3,000rpm was the figure I was told by a merlin engineer). I wonder how much they've played with it to get the induction system to breathe properly.

According to some original reports contained in the RR Meteor book published by RR Heritage Trust, the Merlin had been run up to 3,600 rpm and acheiving 1,200hp.

Obviously reliability can be reduced if run at this speed , but as the vessel is a one-off speed boat and not driving a heavy transmission, then these are risks that are taken in the racing world.