Holley Flathead V8 Carb fuel seepage (CMP, Bren, etc.)

Lauren Child

Question

How much of a problem is fuel seepage from the Holley (ford badged) carbs? I had a problem starting the CMP today and on looking found that the base of the carb was wet with petrol - it's been seeping down onto the top of the engine as well. That to me looks bad, but there seems to be some differing opinions on the net on whether that's normal for old Holley carb's.

Am I looking at an expensive repair, or is that just normal and it'll evaporate off when it gets warm?

It looks a lot like its coming from the throttle/choke spindle (where the idle speed screw is).

7 answers to this question

guess you have to ask your self is fuel leaking good or bad!:D

That's kind of what I was thinking, which is why I'm still here and not at Life on the Holme Front. Some of the webites say "they do that" though, but I'm not sure the hot-rodders really have a safety head on.

It is not unusual for the float in these carburettors to leak & slowly fill with fuel causing the level to rise in the float bowl resulting in seepage as you described. It will slowly increase.

An easy check other than the obvious sound of fuel in the float, is to submerge the cold float in warm water. The heated air inside the float will exit through a hole, if one exists, & show bubbles in the water.

Often this is worth checking before delving furter into the carb.

Try Nordian Services in Malton. I had problems with my CMP a few years back and called in to see him on my way to Pickering. He dived in and fitted all the parts I needed for the carb in situ with the truck parked on the road. We also fitted new fan belts at the same time. I would just like to point out that I have no connection with Nordian other than being a happy customer.

NORDIAN SERVICES LTD

COPPERFIELD, ROAD, KIRBY MISPERTON

YO17 6XR MALTON, NORTH YORKSHIRE

Phone: 01653 668662

Fax: 01653 668440

It was quite funny when I first came across them. As I said I was on my way to Pickering and had a rough idea where they were, but could I find them? I drove up and down the the lane looking. On my second time past and particular building I spotted a gentleman in my rear view mirror, he was in blue overalls with a mug of tea in his hand. I pulled over and jumped out and walked back to have a word. Before I said anyting he said 'I thought I heard a flathead V8 going past, just didn't expect to see a truck'. I didn't need to ask if he knew where Nordian services were.

H1HU