1950's - 70's issue braces

Eaglehurst

I have a couple of examples of these from the 1970s but did not realise they were issued as far back at the 1950s. Any idea when they were introduced and subsequently phased out? 1984/85 Pattern trousers do not have the internal waist band buttons for braces so I am guessing they disappeared in the mid 1980s.

These are in NOS condition.

1950sBracersLabel (2).jpg

1950sBracers.jpg

1950sbracerslabel.jpg

Those braces didn't change from Korea until the 80s...!!! Always issued with 50s, 60s and 68 pattern combat strides but seldom worn.........

Up to the late-40s/early 50s, the old wartime braces were worn...essentially the same but in white non-elasticated cotton tape.......I guess the elasticated version were introduced to save the sudden discomfort experienced when bending over sharply by providing a bit of "give"......:D

• 2 months later...

Braces were worn with everything earlier on, not just dress uniforms! The 1940's era woolen underpants and long johns were not very size-specific so have cotton tape at the waist for the braces to pass through, as does the denim 'battledress' overall trousers. So you would have your pants, your battledress trousers, and your denim over trousers all hanging on your braces at once!

They were issued much later than the 1980's. The newest dated pair I have are from 1999.

I'm curious as to the date when the grey elastic braces superceded the white non-elastic type. So far I have a pair white cotton dated 1948, and a pair of grey elastic dated 1951. That's as close as I've got.

Be aware the grey elastic braces did change through their lifespan. The earlier versions go to a 'V' at the rear whereas later issues are a 'Y' shape at the rear (see photo).

Oh, and if you think those fingers in the last photo look a bit girly, They're not mine!

1951 dated pair at left, 1999 dated at right.

DSCF8495.jpg

DSCF8497.jpg

DSCF8494.jpg

The grey elasticated braces were introduced during 1951, announced in List of Changes (LoC's) C.4515 of 30th March 1951......

However, LoCs were only published once a garment or item of kit had been tested and approved for service, so the braces may have appeared initially a year or so earlier...? The same LoC also notes that stocks of the old wartime pattern non-elasticated white cotton-tape braces had to be used up first before issuing the new type.......:-D

Worn more with dress than combat uniforms.

Until the 84/85 pattern combats, combat trousers were always "generously" cut (don't wear them with braces, the gusset drags around your knees unless you wore them with braces).

Not a problem in our regiment: combat trousers were only ever worn on guard duty, otherwise lightweights (or barrack dress if appropriate).

No problem.

I guess the braces never needed to be that long........they served almost as shoulder-loops because the 50s and 60s combat trousers, based upon wartime battledress, came up to somewhere between your belly-button and nipples.....(and still with the crutch hanging around your knees !!!! :-()........we wore tml's (lightweights) whenever we could get away with 'em.....any exercise in the heavy combat pants, particularly in summer, usually led to nasty sweat rash on your upper inner-thighs........>:(