New green text link "feature"

fv1609

Links from keywords to ebay I can understand & accept. I'm grateful they seem to be not so extensive as before.

But what is this new green text or green text double underlined do for the forum? Apart from being more tedious to read a simple bit of text I cannot see how tripping over a free dictionary whilst reading it enhances the forum experience or can generate income, unless the path to the "free" dictionary is laden with links. I have not explored further & have no wish to walk into another link ridden area.

Dictionaries being dictionaries cover all sorts of subjects as you can see below. I cannot see how the quoted biological facts enhance the value of Lee's post. In fact I think if a thread had been started on that theme it would have been pulled as it is irrelevant & not perhaps what one would need to read about on a family forum.

Given the content of dictionaries, who knows what other interesting facts or topics which will be irrelevant or not in the best taste?

unwelcomemessage.jpg

I don't see why it bothers you so much as they only show up for visitors / members that have not logged in yet. When you log-in, they are gone. If not, I've made a mistake in setting it up and I will rectify it. This is common practice on a lot of forums around the internet, more ads for unregistered users.

Running a forum cost money, running a big forum cost a lot of money. We cannot even pay half the cost involved in running the forum with donations we receive every month. Yet everybody expects the forum to be alive and active 24/7.

We do not charge for being a member and we do not charge for members to sell their goods and vehicles (and making big bucks through HMVF) It's all free for our members! For a time when Jack had it rough I paid for HMVF out of my own pocket, (Jack did that for a long, long time). We don't want to pay for it ourselves anymore. We run a free forum that is paid for by ads. NO ADS, NO HMVF. They come in different forms and shapes but they are ads nonetheless. Some are visible to all visitors, some only to people who have not registered yet. Deal with it.

Also and finally:

Running HMVF smoothly is taking a big chunk out of the time I have available to myself every day (which is not a lot). I'm on active standby 24x7 365 days/year in case anything happens to the site / server and have been up in the middle of the night a couple of times to get the forum back on it's feet again. I have been on active standby for almost 7 years now. Do you every hear me complain about that? No!

I don't think it would be too much to ask of our members to understand why we have ads since they make the site possible. You might think they are ugly but they pay the bills and that is what counts.

Edited by Joris

I don't see why it bothers you so much

This isn't meant as a challenge or a lack of appreciation & is meant nicely.

What bothered me was not knowing what had happened. Was it an official thing or had I got some malware? Nobody seemed to know.

I came on read a post from Lee & there is a pop up about about menstruation. It just seemed irrelevant & unexpected.

I now know the links go when you log on but I only found that by chance.

You have given us an explanation. So now we know, so thank you.

:):):):):):)